Spreading Topsoil onto existing Grass/lawn

Mr Tayto

Hi

Ive a question for all the green fingers out there, I have about 10 truck loads of top soil that Ive got to get rid of, I was wondering if I could just spread it over existing grass, and maybe roll it in, or is there a correct method - the end result should mean a nice lawn.

Thanks in advance

It depends on how much topsoil you put over the present lawn. If it is just a top dressing it would be ok and the grass would be unaffected but if you are going to spread 4-6 inches over your lawn you could end up with drainage problems in my opinion particularly if you have an established lawn at present.

Hi

I have about 10 truck loads of top soil that Ive got to get rid of,

Not sure if i understand where your coming from.......but if you don't want to spread it out yourself, why not advertise and sell it. there's always demand out there for good topsoil!

If you have to spread it out on existing grass....first of all remember that carrying out this type of work in wet weather is not a good idea.....if we ever get a dry spell again have it spread out roughly with an excavator or the like and then get it harrowed and pick the big stones out of it.......spread your grass seed and job done. Rolling the topsoil isn't a good idea, as depending on the soil type it will seal the top layer and could cause water ponding due to poor percolation.

Can't stress the importance of carrying this out in decent weather! When the topsoil is dry it makes the above a whole lot easier!

Last edited by a moderator:
I though you had to have a cert. or license to sell or transport top soil from one site to another so you might not be allowed to sell it. Be careful as one other person said you do not want to have a poorly drained garden in this day and age. Topsoil does not contain enough stones to allow drainage to occur and waterlogging will occur.

amh

Back