Spray interior of new build

Abbica

Hi, in a few months I will have to paint the interior of the house. Has anyone sprayed it for the first coat/undercoat and if so, is it a good finish and is it easy to do or would you recommend I just use a roller. Just the thought of having to paint the interior 3 times (undercoat and 2 coats) is not appealing.

I sprayed mine. Easily completed in one day. Great for the undercoat. Had a helper (MrsBobby) following with a roller for a while, just to give the sprayed walls/ceilings a better finish. This eliminated any danger of "drips" spoiling the finish. When she got tired and I no longer had the roller following me, a few drips did appear where over spraying obviously occurred. So if you can, get someone to follow with the roller, or take longer and do the roller bit yourself also. It takes alot of prep, covering windows, doors etc, but a day well spent! I wouldn't try it if floor coverings were already down.

Spraying works well especially if you have any experience. I would strongly recommend that you spray the first coat before the chippie does the second fixing. That way you will have no skirtings or doors to worry about. Could even do your first top coat as well just leaving one final coat to do after the second fixing. Oh and BTW dont skimp on sanding the wall before you spray. If you do be prepared for major blotchy spots.

yeah, best way to go.........did my whole house in one day, walls and ceilings. Need to do it prior to 2nd fixes. finishes were good throughout. You do use a hell of amount of paint though................but the time you save is fantastic!

That's great news, I was a bit aprehensive about it, probably more worried about doing it by roller/brush but we are only starting to put the plasterboard up, so no skirting/doors in yet which I probably would have had in if by the time I started painting if you hadn't warned me. So, do you know were you buy this sprayer and do you mean you have to sand down the plaster work before you spray? thanks for your help.

Enquire about renting a sprayer as a professional type would be the way to go. Yes sand down the plaster before you spray. Use a pole sander and it wont take long. This is particularly important on exterior walls (all walls with the two layers of plaster sand and cement and the top coat). Plaster over plaster board a quick once over should be sufficient.

where did yoy rent the spray gun etc from , and did you have to use special paint etc ?

Sounds like a great idea to do this before 2nd fix.
Can anybody give an indication of hire costs for these sprayers?
Did anybody get a quote from a professional decorator for the same job? - a ballpark comparison would be useful
Thanks

Don't know about spraying, but a tip before the 2nd fix (which I assume is the skirtings & frames etc. If you can get hold of the wood before the chippie, set up a production line and sand & varnish 2 coats before they get fixed....much quicker & far less back breaking than doing it once they are fixed.

Any tool hire place has sprayers for hire. Mine cost ~ €30 for the day (honestly can't remember for sure, but it was cheap). Any of the paint you might have choosen for the roller/brush can be used with the sprayer afaik.
And good advise there about sanding & varnishing skirting and architraves etc. before they are fitted ... soooo much easier.

Cost to Paint Interior of New Build

Hi

Getting to the painting stage of new build - 2700ft. Can anyone recommend a good , reasonable priced painter in the Offaly region?
I need all interior walls, doors and skirting painted. All surfaces need to be prepared.
Have been quoted €6k incl paint but this seems crazy to me. Definately plan to buy paint @trade price . If it comes to it, I will take some holidays and do some of it myself but I don't have the ladders etc required for the hall/landing.
Also, any ideas on how long it would take ?

Thanks
Der

Our house was sprayed 8 years ago - the problem is that as opposed to a rolled finised the surface is a little rough - and now 8 years on dirt is sitting on the rough surface - try rubbing it down and its a nightmare - a definate repaint is now required

The Walls were worse than the ceilings which seem a lot smoother

I would follow the advice of bobby - a combination of spray and roll woudl probably give you the best finish

Back