spousal swap to claim BTWEA

corkgirl1

Hi all,

my husband has been claiming JSA for a couple of years while self-employed.

I am now looking into setting up a business (providing a service) and was hoping we could do a spousal swap and then go on BTWEA while I try and build it up.

the local development people said they don't approve BTWEA here - I need to deal with DSP for that and not to rush into anything.

Could anyone point me at:
1. will I be able to do spousal swap?
2. what drawbacks might there be if I did?

Thanks for any advice, please tell me if I need to give more details.

The general guidelines for Back to Work Enterprise Allowance can be found here:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Enterprise-Allowance-Self-Employed.aspx

Reading the operational guidelines (follow the link on the left of the webpage aboev, and see point 2.5), it appears that the spousal swap only applies if the claimant is in receipt of BTWEA, ceases self-employment, and wishes to transfer any remaining BTWEA entitlement to a spouse/partner (who must be a dependant adult).

You should contact the local office where your husband signs on for specific information relating to your situation.

Thanks so much for that Gipimann - you're always so helpful on here and it's very much appreciated.

I think where I'm confusing myself is by referring to spousal swap - this doesn't seem to apply at all - my husband has never had BTWEA - he just qualifies for JSA as business has been so awful.

I think what I need to look into is claiming BTWEA as a qualified adult (Section 2.2.4) - is it a problem that I haven't been looking for work at all and have in fact turned down my old job as the hours required me to pay more than I would earn in childcare?

I will contact the local office tomorrow and try to get clarity.

Back