Spending money to get higher sale price on house

ndp

I will shortly be putting my house in Dublin on the market. I have heard that it can be worth spending money on the house to achieve a higher sale price.

I have the following questions about this:

1. Has anybody done this and how has it worked out for you?

2. Any tips on the types of things that should be done / yield the best return?

3. Are there any companies (or even estate agents) that do give advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Yes. The big EAs should be able to help you. There was an article in the sunday papers at the weekend on this very topic. Tribune/BPost/STime or sindo. Can't remember which one.

Money spend on gardens yield the best return.
Don't think about converting the attic, waste of money.

If your house needs modernising you should do that, bathrooms and kitchens. No buyer wants the hastle of having the builders in.

If your house has been recently modernised, then declutter, declutter and declutter.

I'm with redo on decluttering and de-personalising - this is probably the most important thing to do.

Fresh coat of neutral paint, and use paintings/curtains/bedspreads etc to bring in a colour scheme - all of these things yield the best return because you bring them with you when you move.

If you've white internal doors, paint them. A fresh gloss coat makes a world of difference for little cost (but a bit of work).

Theres a booklet from Sherry fitz called something like 'first impressions' you can pick up from their offices FOC. Might have a few useful tips.

Hi

ditto the above re declutter and fresh paint, also finish off any DIY jobs that need doing.

Invest in new mats, especially bathroom, pedal bin, basin and drainer in the kitchen, and sink and bath plugs, tea towel and oven gloves (if on show) if yours are looking a little shabby.

Good Luck

Betsy

Much the same as above but look at the housey magazines/ show houses. Kitchens and bathrooms have to be spotless- if you usually get the cheap toilet paper - invest in a more luxurious brand - clean the toothbrush glass!. Clean towels/ tea towels. remove all scruffy items from worktops - just have a few choice, items - nice containers for tea bags etc. Make a kindof feature of simple things - like nice coffee jug/ teapot. Buy new sponges/ washing up brush - small things like this - gives the impression the place is really cared for. Lick of paint and grout whitener can lift tired surfaces.

Fresh flowers/ plants always a lovely touch. Nice lush fern in the bathroom i find makes it look very fresh. Bedrooms - clean fresh bedlinen - in coordinating colours - get a paint chart as an aid to what colours complement each other. Make sure all clothes put away or hung up but maybe thin out the wardrobe if needed - don't want to give the appearance of not having enough space. Try not to have too much stuff in the bedrooms - particularly taking up floor space- put on shelves or pack in a box and store - want the bedrooms to look restful.

As said do up the garden and if have shed/garage remember to declutter it also. Few plants in nice pots usually looks well- maybe beside front door or if have a yard. If you have nice garden chairs/table set them out. As Ann Maurice says you are trying to sell a lifesytle and i know this sounds very shallow but if you are leaving anything on show - books etc - don't leave your tatty Mills and Booms but some of your more impressive reading. Good luck.

Plus two bay trees at the front door for viewing seem to de rigeur these days

I have heard that it can be worth spending money on the house to achieve a higher sale price.

I'd agree with previous posters on this question. Do tidy up and declutter, and do consider a fresh paint (with bright neutral colours) if required. Larger upgrade jobs are probably unlikely to provide sufficient return on the investment involved, and might turn out to be more trouble than they are worth, especially if they don't quite go as planned.

However, first of all talk to a good Estate Agent who knows the area. My brother sold a house in Galway city earlier this year. If he had listened to me (I had recently sold close to the same area), he would have spent time doing up the garden, painting etc., before putting it on the market. The EA advised him to put it on the market immediately as there were very few houses on sale in the immediate area and there was demand. He did so and the house was Sale Agreed at the asking price within 2 days.

Best of luck anyway.

A friend of mine replaced a very old and grotty looking bathroom suite with the cheapest white suite he could find before selling, as the rest of the house was well done up and the bathroom really shuck out like a sore thumb.
THe estate agent claims to have got a lot of favourable comments about the nice bathroom, so he felt it was worth his while.

as the weather is now fine one thing is extremely important, cut the grass every week, even if you have moved out to a new house go back a cut your grass

hi, after reading loads of AH post I'm confused. i bought an AH(affordable house), and although you can't get a re-mortgage to perform some upgrades, which I slightly understand coz their return is not guaranteed, I also think why should they benefit in me spending loads of money on the apartment/house???? if the amount i invest is just as much as they gave me a discount then fair enough!!!! BUT if I invest in my house/apartment and it is worth much more....is it fair?? I dunno??? Live in just being or allow to live?!?

Back