Speeding Points

Looked at previous threads but couldn't find the answer. If you are caught speeding, do you recieve more points (i.e 4 rather than 2) for driving more than 10kph over speed limit or is the same 2 pts regardless of speed.

Points received are the same regardless of speed. I think the additional points come into play when you contest the speeding offence and lose...

if you get caught on one of those white camera vans, how long does it take for the letter to come through?

Think it was different before if you were >20mph over the limit. If stopped by a cop and in his opinion you were posing a serious danger then you can be in a lot more trouble than 2 points. 20kph over on a motorway and 20kph over in a town centre would be very different

as someone who has worked closely with penalty points there was and is never any difference between 20k over in a motorway or 20k over in another area. Once you were over the speed limit you get 2 points irrespective of the location. Contest it and loose and you get 4 points.

In relation to how quick the notice go out. If you are stopped by a garda and your details entered on a handheld device then the notice would be out in about 5 days. If you are caught by camera the notice could be out a little later.

gramlab, just to qualify, you are right in some respects about what a garda could do in relation to where you are caught speeding. The garda does have an option to charge you with dangeruos driving as well as a speeding offence but the number of penalty points remains the same - ie., 2 but you can also get a summons for a non-penalty points offence such as dangerous driving.

to confirm what was posted earlier - do not assume that you can drive at any speed and get away with two penalty points - if you are caught doing 165 miles an hour on the neenagh by pass you will not get away with two penalty points.......not that i would ever do such a thing or ever condone such a dangerous thing....but in the throws of youthful exuberation stranger things have happened.

I was caught speeding (6 mph over limit) in Apr 04 and didn't get the notice until OCT 04!!!

Points didn't kick in until Dec 04.

Can you not contest that? Didn't I read something where you should receive the notice withing a certain time?

It actually all happened in 2003 - just checked the paperwork.
Points are up at the end of this year anyway so not worth the hassle in contesting now and the fact is,
that I was speeding, albeit by a small amount (in a 40 mile zone that is now 80 kms!).
Having the points though definitely sharpens the mind and I can honestly say that I've never been over
any speed limit since Oct 03 which is a lot easier said than done in this country.

OneAndOnly said:
in a 40 mile zone that is now 80 kms!.
When qouting speeds, the same system should used, 40mph is 64 km/h, and 80km/h equals 50mph. It looked like a big difference the way it was posted.
This webpage explains the Penalty Points quite clearly http://www.penaltypoints.ie.:

Q. Have I any recourse if I am issued with a penalty point?

A. If you pay the fixed charge, you are pleading no contest and accepting that the points will be endorsed on your licence record. You can opt however to go to court in which case, you have the opportunity to defend your actions. If you are acquitted, obviously there is no question of penalty points being endorsed. However, you run the risk of incurring a higher number of penalty points, if found guilty. You are of course entitled to appeal a case to a higher court if you wish to contest the finding of the court. No penalty points will be endorsed on the licence record until all appeals procedures which are availed of by an individual, have been completed and notification is received from the Courts Service in the event that a conviction is imposed.

Back