Speeding in the port tunnel

bazermc

I have been driving through the Dublin port tunnel a lot over the last few weeks. The speed limit is quite clearly marked 80kph so I try to stick to it.

However I feel like I constantly have to move out of the way of cars which are doing excess of 100. The trucks go slow which is fair enough, so as a result I am forced to jump from lane to lane.

There is a sign at the start and the end that flashes up the registration plate number and the speed of cars exceeding the 80kph. There was one car this morning clocked at 120KPH!

Surely with this data been stored fines are dished out?

If you think the Port Tunnel is bad never ever travel the M50,speed limit now reduced to 100kph but very rarely adhered to,its a good road and the limit is a bit ridiculous.

RonanC; OP said:
Try tell that to the clowns on the M50 and the N7/M7 that cruise along in the middle lane! :)

Having got points twice for speeding, I now stick rigidly within the speed limit and am continually frustrated by the amount of people that seem to get away with driving at whatever speed they want.

Try tell that to the clowns on the M50 and the N7/M7 that cruise along in the middle lane! :)

Having got points twice for speeding, I now stick rigidly within the speed limit and am continually frustrated by the amount of people that seem to get away with driving at whatever speed they want.

See my comment above about idiots using M50... Middle Lane Morons. They do my nut in :mad:

OP, you should always return to the left hand lane once it is safe to do so.

The tunnels are an exception to this rule, and the signage clearly states you must stay in lane until you exit the tunnel.

For the OP, a simple solution might be to get into the left lane prior to entering the tunnel. Not exactly a solution to speeding, but may make for a more relaxed drive for yourself (so long as someone isn't cruising at 50 in the left lane that is!)

In relation to the speed displayed, the cameras used won't be calibrated to the required levels, so this data can't be used to issue penalties.

Really you cannot change lanes once in the tunnel?

Why isnt there sign posts to say that and why is there a broken white line down the middle.

Sorry, seems Port Tunnel doesn't have that restriction. I had assumed it would be the same as the Jack Lynch Tunnel!! Oops...

Back