Speed Camera query

Stevo2006

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to capture two cars on 1 hand held speed gun used by the garda?

I was recently caught (paid fine) with another guy in front of me and the guard stopped us both and was just wondering how he captured both of us. I know we were doing similar speeds but is it possible for him to give us separate readings?

Thanks.

I don't think so, he has to aim the gun at one moving target to get an accurate reading. He just did the 2 of you more than likely because he knew the 2 of you were doing similar speeds and you were over the limit. Both of you should demand a read out (official print off) in court. I'll bet he could only produce one!

But why do you think he cannot
point at car 1, click, nabbed car 1,
quick pause,
point at car 2, click, nabbed car 2

and then stop both cars

Earlier view expressed on speed cameras

I did try and search for an earlier comment I read here, but couldn't find it, but I had to add this; one poster previously said that he was told that there were 2 small covers on the back of the camera (which there are) and that these needed to be uncovered if the camera was operational, I think so that the flash would not overheat (?!), so if these 2 holes were covered up, it meant the camera wasn't on! I watched with interest when another car sped past me on the inside lane of the N4 (Lucan) heading for Dublin, and I had noticed the 2 holes on the camera were covered - it still flashed!! Beware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to capture two cars on 1 hand held speed gun used by the garda?

I was recently caught (paid fine) with another guy in front of me and the guard stopped us both and was just wondering how he captured both of us. I know we were doing similar speeds but is it possible for him to give us separate readings?

Thanks.

The devices the Gardai use are notoriously inaccurate. It would have been impossible for the Garda to have correctly measured you and the other drivers speed simultaneously. Scaaning both cars would have given an incorrect reading. I sympathise with you if you were within 10 percent of the speed limit (your speedometer has an average of a 10 per cent discrepancy of its indicated speed)

Perhaps you might be enlightened if you read this serious piece of BBC journalism highlighting how inaccurate speed guns are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/southwest/series7/speed-cameras.shtml

Back