Speed camera on M50 ....... double flash last night

S

Simeon

Driving up the M50 (between Ballymount and Red Cow) at 00.45 this morning, was doing more than the temporary speed limit at roadworks and where you get those horizontal lines etc. and was zapped twice. Can the cameras pick up all the relevant info at night? Are these things loaded? And when should I get notice of being nabbed etc.

Same thing happened me a couple of months ago in the same spot. Have heard nothing since.

I drive by that one every few weeks and I'm one of the few drivers that slows all the way down to 60 kph, most seem to go through at about 70 - 80 kph. If they were actually giving out points wouldn't the regulars be slowing down there.

Same here, double flash about 6 weeks ago, still heard nothing.

I wonder how long these things take?

Last edited:
They can take a while, but the cameras are not always "live" ie may flash but have no film so to speak and wont capture your details.

I was actually driving that road last night passing a few cars in the right lane and a guy came up behing me @ speed I pulled in just before the camera and slowed down, he sped past and got flashed. I laughed :D

But it's a lottery with these cameras, most people seem to speed past them but I won't take the chance.

Mik

Happened me over a year ago on the Belfast-Dublin Motorway, never heard anything, also happened a mate and he got no ticket either!!

Thanks fellas. Will sleep sounder tonight. And if I do hear from them, well I do!

i think u should go to ure nearest police station and pay the fine anyway. and if not give up sweets for lent.

got double flashed at sap hotel camera.....n got notification in post with my no plate pic on it n 2 points on licence!!! wasnt thinking !!! be careful!

I hear the camera at the Spa is the one that is almost guaranteed to be fully operational at all times.

I got a speeding fine in the post (with photo from the front so probably taken from a van or something as opposed to the fixed speed cameras) & 2 penalty points a couple of years ago. It arrived a full year after the incident took place. It happened on the Lucan road.

Wasn’t there a case a few years back when a woman received 12 points over a period of time? However she was only made aware of this when the letter informing her that she was banned arrived. I think she successfully appealed the conviction, or her points were rolled back or something.

I don’t know if anyone else can clarify this but I remember reading of several cases of drivers getting caught doing stupid speeds (140+ k) getting seemingly low fines but as far as I can tell no points. Is this the case or are points applied automatically and just not reported in the media these days?

I got a speeding fine in the post (with photo from the front so probably taken from a van or something as opposed to the fixed speed cameras) & 2 penalty points a couple of years ago. It arrived a full year after the incident took place. It happened on the Lucan road.

Dont get me wrong do the crime do the time ......but for something like this it seems an awful long time to be waiting to find out about the situation .

I wouldn't be too worried, even though they flash they more than likely don't have film, I think there's only about 3 of those Gatso's in the country that actually work!! Flashed a year ago on Old Balbriggan Rd, not a sausage!!

I passed a speed camera on the M1 last night doing a speed of nearly 130mph and seen a double flash.... the thing is i was travelling in the hard shoulder. can anyone tell me if i will get away with it or does the speed camera catch people in the hard shoulder too?

Back