Speech ideas

PaddyW

For a best man. Wedding in September. I have some ideas of my own but would appreciate any unique input you may have!

when a cousin of mine got married a few years ago, his best man did a slide show of embarrasing pictures of him as he grew up.

At my brother's wedding the best man also did that old embarassing photos idea and it worked very well, he asked us for the pics. My bro loved it. He had a running theme of bad hair do's that he got good mileage slagging. He colour-copied all the photos on to an A3 page and handed a couple out to each table at the start of his speech rather than laptop / screen hassles.

I have used to very good effect on several occasions fake email / fax messages that would take the **** out of those concerned.

Oops, sorry for having it in the wrong section and for moving it for me! One question, to begin the speech, is there a formal way of doing it. For example should I address the priest first, ladies and gentlemen etc. ?

Is this what wedding speeches have become? Powerpoint slide shows with handouts? This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned but it's not actually essential to embarrass the bride, groom, bridesmaids or any of their immediate families.

And even if they are quite amused, spare a thought for the guests. Most people sit through speeches out of respect rather then interest and would prefer a few words well spoken over a long rambling attempt at being funny. Expecting them to sit through slideshows with handouts is asking a bit much IMHO.

Back