Specsaver Prices UK v Ireland v Spain

TLC

Just looked up cost of a pair of specs on both websites - same type/style UK £169 Spain €175 & Ireland € 250 that's a huge variation. Why is the cost so much cheaper in Spain?

Is there a difference in VAT rates? Specs in Ireland attract the top rate of VAT

I think the vat rate in Spain is 18% so the price differential is still huge €175 in Spain & €250 here!

Specsaver want me to renew my frames and lenses when I have an eye test. You would think it would be saving cost just to renew the lenses, they have a clever way of working it out so that it is cheaper to buy the frames and the lense, thats why I will not go back to Specsavers.

I've gone to them for years but think I'll shop around - maybe get my test done there & look for a reduced price - quote the different prices to them & see what happens. Won't be doing it for a couple of weeks yet but I'll see how I get on & post it.

Just looked up cost of a pair of specs on both websites - same type/style UK £169 Spain €175 & Ireland € 250 that's a huge variation. Why is the cost so much cheaper in Spain?

Because people in Spain have less money

Or are they better at getting value for money? Maybe we're just easy to rip off?

Incomes and costs are lower in Spain. But, I agree that irish people aren't great at shopping around and tend to pay the asking price - to back me up, I'll just mention supermarket profits in Ireland

Back