Spanish security information

Lollix

Does anyone know the story with Ryanair's policy of getting advance security information from passengers going to Spain? Am I right in saying that Aer Lingus doesn't request this info?
I don't have a problem in giving them my details, but I wonder whether it is a legal requirement or simply a handy way for them to get their check-in data together ahead of the flight.
Anyone know the details?

Dept. of Foreign Affairs said:
Advanced Passenger Information
The European Union passed a Directive 2004/82/CE on 29th April 2004 regarding the obligation of carriers (airlines, ferries etc.) to provide details of passengers. Spain was the first EU country to put this Directive into practice with a national regulation which came into effect on 17th March 2007. Carriers were given three months to set up the necessary systems in order to obtain this data effectively and without adversely affecting passengers.
http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8545

This has nothing to do with Ryanair as detailed above. If any of the arilines aren't requesting this information in advance, it simply means that they'll require you to fill it out at some point before you travel.

I often wondered about this, but it has just occurred to me that Aer Lingus 'scan' your passport before they issue your boarding pass so they probably just collect the information in a different way and then pass it on.

All airlines have the same requirement. I've flown to Spain with both EazyJet and Aer Lingus and in both incidences I've input the required info on their websites.
I was using their web-checkin services, but I think that you could also do it at checkin stage.

So in other words, Aer Lingus collect info at check in, other than with online check in? Ryanair get us to do the work? No wonder Aer Lingus are struggling!

Aer Lingus do collect the required information on their website, when you use web check-in - as BertieBowel said above.

I've flown Aer Lingus to the Canary Islands, and have entered the required info online.

Back