Spa weekend in Ireland

emmt

I am looking into organising a few nights in a spa/health farm for my sister as a treat cos she really needs a "get away from it all" break from things at the moment. The three I am looking into are
- Powerscourt Springs
- The Temple Spa in Moate
- [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BrookLodge & Wells Spa, Macreddin Village, Co. Wicklow
cos these are close enough to Dublin for me to leave her there and pick her up.

She's going on her own so i want someplace that she isn't going to be surrounded by couples, parties etc. Just somewhere that she can mellow on her own and come out refreshed.

If anyone has any ideas about any of these places I'd really appreciate it. A friend of a friend told me that Powerscourt could do with touch up and is getting a bit dilapidated?
[/FONT]

I've been to Powerscourt 3 times and I'm going again this year. Last year they were renovating a courtyard area so there was a bit of noise but the bedrooms near that area weren't used so it didn't cause any problems. I think that's finished now.

I certainly didn't find it dilapidated. It's slightly expensive but well worth it. There are always women there on their own and even when you go with someone you only really see them briefly in between treatments and at dinner.

Hi ,
there is one more you should look at its called the osprey its in naas supposed to be fantastic and they do weekend deals they have a site on the net..there is a nite club there as well called time and a lovely restaurant..powerscourt is expensive far as i know...

I have heard great reports about Brooklodge.

Am off to the Marriott Johnstown in Enfield next week. Looks amazing but maybe too far?

I've been to Ballycoursey Health Spa in Ennsicorthy a couple of times. Really realxing and peaceful. i found it ideal on my own, guests have their own private sitting room for evening relaxation. I've stayed a couple of times and have had the place to myself at night both times (both during the week). Enniscorhty is 1hr 30mins from dublin, so journey isn't too bad.

Hi,

I've been to Powerscourt spa a couple of times, and would really recommend it. Its fine for people on their own - even if you go with a friend, you choose different treatments at different times, so you dont see each other all that much.
The girls doing the treatments were very nice; the whole experience was really relaxing. I didnt find it dilapidated atall. The food was lovely too. I've actually just bought a voucher for my mum and aunt to go there for a weekend.

(The only slight niggle was that once when I was paying, they had added on to the Visa slip a 30E tip for themselves without asking or informing me! The explanation was that it was an "optional" service charge. Luckily I noticed, and gave them no tip for being cheeky!).

Ragazza,

They tell you when you book about the service charge and again when they go through your program - at least they did with me the 3 times I was there. It's 5% and you can ask for it to be removed. It saves the hassle of tipping each therapist after each treatment.

There's a male therapist there too and he gives great full body massages as he maintains his strength for the whole hour.

[broken link removed] is one I have heard mentioned quite a lot lately though I have no personal experience. It's owned by the same guy who owns these http://www.griffingroup.ie/ - I have been in the Ferrycarrig hotel several times and had no probs. which might be a good indicator of how monart is run.

Consider the "Heritage at Killenard" which is just outside Portlaoise. The Hotel is sheer luxury and the spa is fantastic. We stayed when it opened last year, and enjoyed every minute.

Thanks a mill for all the great suggestions. I'm going to check them all out.Originally, I was thinking of Powerscourt cos I had heard so much good stuff about it so I'm glad to hear that it still comes recommended. Sis is going on her own and I want some place where she can enjoy the solitude rather than feeling lonely. Also like the sound of the Ballycoursey Health Spa in Enniscorthy since Bluebell was there alone and it was fine. Powerscourt is dear all right but I just gotta bite the bullet I guess!

Brook Lodge is very plush & comfortable. One of my colleagues who had just been to Powerscourt swore that Brook Lodge left Powerscourt in the hapenny place.

I recently spent the weekend in Cork & was very impressed with the Imperial Hotel & Spa on the South Mall.
Dunno if it's any use to you but it only cost me €35 return including taxes & charges via Ryanair. It's the only Aveda spa in the country and I had an amazing time.
HTH

Hi folks , can anyone help me with the name of a good place to try, within easy reach of Dublin and Belfast, or any point in between. thank you.

I was in Powerscourt and loved it. I must book it again, I really enjoyed it. Glad to hear the male masseuse is still there......it was well worth going for the full body massage!!;)

I got a mini weekend voucher for powerscourt and I went there with my boyfriend in October 2006. The treatments, food and service were very good. However the rooms were extremely basic- like a guest house in the 80ies. They charge for overnight DVD rentals and you must return your bath robe to reception upon departure. Exorbitant prices for extremely basic accommodation. An absolute rip off if staying overnight. They are trading on their name only and proximty to Dublin - DONT GO!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lorry about Powerscourt, not nearly as fab as it used to be.
I love Monart in Enniscorthy, it really is out of this world and would put Powerscourt to shame for the same price range. (I am not affiliated to Monart)

The Millrace in Bunclody is relatively new and, although we didn't actually stay there, we did take advantage of the spa facilities; jacuzzi, sauna etc. My wife, who talked the receptionist into giving us some free day passes, had a good nose round all the facilities and said they looked good.

Back