Sound proofing question

Kenbo

Hi all
Have posted before regarding this and just want to be sure before we actually begin the work this summer;
We live in a 4 bed two storey semi-detached house built in 1993 with standard construction.
We have a rented house attached to us and have had on-going issues with sound transmission.To be fair it is a design fault of the houses and not the tenants but we can hear most things through the wall even loud conversations and especially impact noises such as slamming doors, children running up and down stairs etc etc.
We intend to do remedial work on a piecemeal basis as it is a big job so we intend to do it a room at a time and see the results as we go (if any!).Current floor in the main bedroom which is worst affected is just T&G varnished floor boards.Five rooms including en-suite are adjoining next door.
The plan is to add 25 to 30 mm of sound proof wall board to each affected wall and re plaster, lift the floor boards to get at the ceiling to floor void and add as much mass as possible to deaden the impact noise transmission as this void seems to act like a drum.The area at the common wall in this void will be covered in insulated board also and rock wool or similar placed in the void to deaden sound transmission.When the floor boards are replaced we intend to put down an acoustic membrane and on top of that a laminate floor.Also the master bedroom en-suite is badly affected as everything seems to come through,again lift the floor ( tiles) and add sound proofing and plaster.(we may have to move sanitary ware).
Cost of work will be considerable as anything with the word "acoustic" is expensive.
My question is has anyone actually done this type of work and has it been successful?
We are aware that sound is very hard to isolate and some sound will always come through, however can anyone point us in the right direction.
We intend obviously to get an Engineer to look at the problem before we start.
Any advise/tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated by us.
Thanks
Kenbo

May not be what you want to hear, if it was me, I'd sell up and buy a detached house.

I dont think you'll ever recoup your money; and the work sounds extensive.

If I were house hunting, the fact that an owner felt it necessary to spend that much money and effort on sound proofing would raise a number of questions in my mind.

Thanks Thirsty
We did think of selling up but are reluctant to leave the area as the kids are settled in College and school locally.
The job if we go ahead with it will be expensive.
Surely someone has attempted to soundproof like this.
Main problem is some built-ins have to come down..they were due replacement anyway.
Thanks again
Kenbo

There are a few previous threads on this subject, might be worth a read through.

Thanks Leo
I will search previous threads.
But ideally I would like to know if anyone has actually taken on a sound problem like this and has successfully dealt with it.
Kenbo

Back