Somewhere with sun at Christmas?

PetPal

We are just back from two weeks in Cyprus which was great, and now realise how important the sun is to make a holiday great. Where could we go at Christmas, or just after it, to get a week of sunshine? As it's only a week, there's no point in thinking of South Africa, Australia etc. We need somewhere that's no more than 5 hours away, pretty much guaranteed sunshine, not too expensive and (preferably) with English as its main language and the Euro as its currency. We're thinking Cyprus (again) or one of the Canary Islands. Any suggestions? Has anyone spent Christmas in the sunshine? Many thanks. (PS, obviously we would be flying from Dublin).

we went to Tenerife for Christmas 2007.. 4 x grandparents, ourselves and 2 x kids.. had a ball.. would highly recommend..

We went to Lanzarote Christmas 2010 just gone.. The weather was great about 24 - 26 degrees,a little overcast sometimes. It is not as busy as the summer months so no problem getting into restaurants etc. There really is no Christmas atmosphere - Christmas day was no different to any other day. We stayed in Puerto Del Carmen which is gone a bit tacky - lots of Irish bars. A far nicer place is Playa Blanca - it is smaller but more tasteful. The trip to the Volcano is great. We did scuba diving which was good fun. It is far cheaper to go after Christmas.

Somewhere warm for Christmas

Thanks everybody. Homer, can you tell me some more about why you like Madeira please? I've looked on the Internet and it does seem nice. Did you stay in a hotel? Any recommendations? Thank you.

Hi Petpal, I would recommend Gran Canaria, It seems to tick all your boxes, No more than 5 hour flight from Dublin, Almost guaranteed sunshine, Not expensive, Euro is the currency and they speak english. There are different resorts to base yourselves in. Puerto Rico is the mainstay and has numerous shops , Bars and restaurants, Amadores is a quieter area just a walk away from PR , It has a stunning beach and is still within easy reach of two commercial centres if you want a meal or drinks, while Mogan or as it is otherwise known, Little Venice is further away this resort is very quiet and relaxed, You will not find 21 year old p**s artists here , I am fairly sure most bars close around 11.00 o clock in Mogan but if it is peace and quiet you are after it is perfect, Hope you find what your looking for Petpal, Regards Salaried.

Salaried - thank you for that. It does tick all boxes. We're looking at a particularly nice/quality hotel in Gran Canaria and it is in a place that begins with "M" (can't remember the name) but it's not the place that you mention. When you say "no 21 year old p*ss artists" that sounds just perfect!!!! Thanks for your help

Maspalomas is prob where you are thinking of. Not a bad spot at all. If it is the sun and to relax get nice walks in etc I'd go for it.

Possibly Melononies is where you have in mind. Its an extension area of Maspolomas and really lovely there. Canaries is the best bet for xmass sunshine and Gran Canaria the most relaible island for sunshine. Go every xmass myself and stay around maspolomas.

A friend of mine from work went to Morocco for Christmas and loved it. She is not a fan of Christmas at all and said it was a good place to avoid it if that is what you are after.

Back