Someone else is mistakenly paying our Bill

juke

Myself and my OH are in our house 4.5 years. Just got a new gas bill - and 2 payments of €50.00 were made in December and January. We didn't make the payments.
I called an Bord Gais who told me that unless the person who made the payments realises the error and personally looks for the sums to be re-funded, they'll leave the money in our gas account.

I suppose it's naive, but I had expected that they may be a bit more pro-active and try sort out the error.

I asked could they trace where the payments had been made - they said they can at best try source the location of where the payments are made, but will only do so if we request them to do so formally. Even then, it would just be to tell us where/how the payments were made- not to try alert to unlucky customer who thinks they are wisely paying off their account in installments, or to apply the money to the correct account.

I appreciate it's a small amount for an Bord Gais - but it could be enough to result in disconnection for an unwary customer.

Back