solid wood floor

ree

Hi again,

Can anyone let me know how long I should leave a solid wood floor to breath in my home before laying it. I have a new extension and am afraid of laying floor to soon. The builder is keen to lay it asap but I feel it hasn't been resting long enough and also that the plastering is only done about a week and there is alot of moisture in the room. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.

[broken link removed]
Had the same query a few weeks back..some useful replies if you search for threads with "no solid floor for 15 months" under my name!

My carpenter says the wood should be left in the finished house with the heating on low for at least 2 weeks to let the moisture in the wood approach that of the house.

On a similar note is it better to glue solid wood floors down or nail the boards in place with spacers?

This [broken link removed] from NOFMA has all the info you should need on installing hardwood floors.

Best solution is to get the builder to test the humidity and moisture levels and give you a guarantee on the floor.
Leo

Builder says he has tested humidity levels and it's fine, I wasn't there when he was doing it so have to take his word for it. So in a new building how long would it take the cement floor to dry? The roof of the extension is on about two and half weeks now. I'm basically looking for reasurance on this as he's laying the floor if I like it or not. can anyone ease my mind?

He needs to check the sub-floor as well. Ask him to do this while you're present. Personally, I think it would be a big mistake to lay an expensive solid floor now.

What guaranee is he giving you? Can you hold back some money for 12 months?
Leo

It may take that long for problems to develop. But if they do, you may end up having to rip up and throw away the entire floor and start again with someone who knows what they're doing.
Leo

12 months, that sounds a bit long.
My site foreman said to wait at least 15 months..which..eh..im not technically sticking too..more like 15 weeks!!! Advice i was given from here was get a moisture reading of your floor first and go from there! The links posted above have the correct moisture % for laying solid floor!

Also, check the moisture reading of your floor when it arrives in your house with the moisture reading of your retailer. You need a baseline figure.

Don't lay it down. Read Leo's first post.

Here is a link that I found on Bamboo floors

Marion

Thanks Marion,

Found your link on bamboo flooring contained everything I need to know, very informative. Haven't layed floor yet and will be holding off doing so.

Back