Solid wood floor - cracking noise

sparkles

hi, just looking for advise on solid oak floor laid on concrete. The floors creak and make cracking sounds underfoot. How do we stop this?

BTW, the concrete floors are uneven, levelling compound was put down but the job was done before we noticed, would that be the main reason?
Any advice appreciated.

BTW, the concrete floors are uneven, levelling compound was put down but the job was done before we noticed

Can you please clarify - Was the floor levelled before floor was installed?

Which method was used to install the floor?

hi there,
It was levelled but not very well I'm afraid. The floors were laid using elastilon.

hi there,
It was levelled but not very well I'm afraid. The floors were laid using elastilon.

Levelling is certainly the root cause then.
Concrete needs to be very flat when using elastilon to install the wooden floor.

WD40 is going to be happy if he reads this :rolleyes:

I know! The fact is though that we have these floors in now about 8 weeks and they creak bad ...what can we do now? I heard a suggestion about sprinkling talc but not so sure about it.......any thoughts? Ripping up the floors is not an option! Thanks.

use large gap filler, comes in spray cans costs about 10 euros per can, available any good hardware/builders suppliers.Drill a small hole in the floor empty full contents of can, might require several cans depending on how bad the creaking is. this stuff really expands when it leaves the can builders usually uses it around gaps where pipes going through walls etc.,

use large gap filler, comes in spray cans costs about 10 euros per can, available any good hardware/builders suppliers.Drill a small hole in the floor empty full contents of can, might require several cans depending on how bad the creaking is. this stuff really expands when it leaves the can builders usually uses it around gaps where pipes going through walls etc.,
I dont know why but drilling holes and filling with gap filler is a crazy idea. If its solid wood 20 mil you could drill holes in wood using 6mm bit, then drill 6mm in concrete, use 8mm bit to countershnk holes, screw down, then refill holes with solid wood and sand varnish etc. Job for a prof carpenter that. Are you sure the un level sub floor is the problem, is there a gap around floor, describe how bumpy the floor looks or gives at creaking points. How many points creak

hi there,

Get the elastion instructions and the solid floor instructions if available and read up on the level required ie 3 mm over 1 metre and contact the installer. if it is not obviously level the buck should stop with the installer. ps is your house newly built and do you have hrv

this will sound mad, but it the answer to the creaking sound. sprinkle talc power around the floor and brush into all joints. when the joints will take no more , clean up excess. after a couple of days the creaking will stop as it will act as a dry lubricant in the joints . try it

If you are talking about [broken link removed], then you are out of you mind IMO to try fixing the creaking with way!!!!
This is very messy, very sticky, would required 8 or 10mm diameter holes to be drilled and is going to lift the floor!!!!!

Get the elastion instructions and the solid floor instructions if available and read up on the level required ie 3 mm over 1 metre and contact the installer. if it is not obviously level the buck should stop with the installer. ps is your house newly built and do you have hrv

Will call the installer tomorrow to get more information. House is new build. What is hrv?

Are you sure the un level sub floor is the problem, is there a gap around floor, describe how bumpy the floor looks or gives at creaking points. How many points creak

The floor isn't bumpy although in one or two spots there is a bounce when walked on. But literally all the boards creak and make cracking sounds, with each step taken.

We just bought the wood and hired a recommended installer. Not being a household with any DIY skills, we thought if you hire an expert, the job is done properly. Reluctant to blame installer if the floors are too uneven.

this will sound mad, but it the answer to the creaking sound. sprinkle talc power around the floor and brush into all joints. when the joints will take no more , clean up excess. after a couple of days the creaking will stop as it will act as a dry lubricant in the joints . try it

seriously, have you done this?

Reluctant to blame installer if the floors are too uneven.
hrv is heat recovery ventilation. No worries it’s not the problem.

If the floor is creaking everywhere you have nothing to lose by using the talc but you need to get the boards to open up a bit. You need to ramp up the heating as high as you can, even get a dehumidifier for each room, you want the boards to dry out and allow the powder down. Do one room at a time.

Remember high heat, dehumidifier, keep it spotlessly clean apart from the talc. Walk it in over a couple of days and then remove the humidifier and bring the heat back down. A bottle per room.

If the floor is dipping by more than 5mm in more than 3 places I would sue the installer. I would have no reluctance putting the blame on the installer. You paid good money for a “professional” to do a job. They put down some leveller, but obviously didn't do it right, they should have discussed the options with you. For example every tiler would assess a job and explain any issues about levels with the client before starting.

Just in case you’re being a pedantic customer can you describe exactly how many rooms are done, how many places dip and by how much.

The floor isn't bumpy although in one or two spots there is a bounce when walked on. But literally all the boards creak and make cracking sounds, with each step taken.

Sorry I didnt' read this when asking about the number of dips. You really must try the talc and have the installer back to fix the bouncy spots by some means.

With the best of intentions an installer can leave one or two creaks in a floor no matter what the method of install, glue, nail etc.

I wonder is it a problem with the elastalion. Any other posters put down solid oak with elastilion.

Who recommended the installer? The retailer?

Marion

Yep, the had a list and recommended one particular guy. He did point out that the concrete was uneven. Builder said installer should level floor, installer said builder should level floor etc. etc. etc.

I wonder is it a problem with the elastalion. Any other posters put down solid oak with elastilion.[/QUOTE]

Any others experience problems? Would be interested to hear.

But there are other issues which may play a part. 1) floor to ceiling windows throughout house had a 3-5 mm gap letting drafts in at the base of windows, builder siliconed outside, I wonder did this affect the wood. 2) at front door, three planks of wood have shrunk considerably, again from a draft I wonder?

Back