Solid Concrete bricks for Kerbing?

Abbica

Hi, we have to do our driveway and lawn now, got the driveway levelled yesterday. We need cheap kerbing and I heard about the solid concrete bricks, that come in a range of colours, around 30cents a brick, does anybody know anyone in the leinster area that might do these and would you consider this a good option for kerbing. I like the idea of sandstone effect and was just wondering do these blocks come in this colour or something similar?

Or should we just go for the normal concrete kerbing blocks (3ft costs €4).

Have you considered a coloured concrete option?

I'm not advocating this, I don't supply it or benefit from it and its very much a matter of taste.

What I'm talking about is a dark slate gray, finished with a special trowel to make it look like dark pavoirs, but without any of settlement and joint problems that can occur with "cheap" driveway paving jobs.

It looks 100% better than tarmacadam, for example.

As with any paving supporting a car's weight, you will need to remove/fill any soft spots and tamp down the ground, put in adequate hardcore and "whack" it and then an adequate cover of concrete. Whacked 4" hardcore and min 6" [150mm slab] is what we used on our driveway and it hasn't cracked or settled, but we have good stoney ground under it.

If you take the above advice on the coloured concrete trowelled finish, don't do it yourself. You can help spread and level the concrete initially, but let the experts apply the colour and the finish. 65Kn concrete can "go off" in an hour on a hot day and it impossible to "work" after that.

The only problem with my advice is that I don't know who's doing this any more.

As with any building advice, check the previous work of the builder/supplier and get alternative quotations for the work.

Thanks onq, but we only need kerbing, along the sides as we are putting gravel down, just need something to shape the drive, keep in the gravel. I heard about the coloured concrete blocks and was thinking of using these for the edging??? Anybody heard of these or where to get them.

Go to any of the paving companies and buy the amount of linear meters you need of 60mm paving brick in your selected colour. Most suitable brick is 200 x 150 with 6-7 per linear metre and half buried below your finished level.

Set them in concrete and they will do the very same job as kerbing and look a world better that concrete blocks. Try Acheson & Glover, Tobermore, Roadstone, or Kilsaran.

Abbica, the best kerbing on the market is a pressed kerb as it retains its true colour not like precast kerbs that will go green with mould and moss.
Most coloured/dyed kerbs lose there colour after about 8 months.

Suppliers of these kerbs are Kilsaran concrete clonee, wrights concrete products monaghan,Killeshall concrete offaly, prices range from €3.20 and sizes are in inches 6x5, 7x4, 8x4,10x5.

How many do you need and what area are you in, as transport will be a big factor in the price.

Also laying paving brick maybe more cost effective and may not be as strong a a solid kerb , if you really want the brick ask any paving manufacturer for seconds or end off line products.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, I seriously don't think we can afford kerbing for a few years anyway the way things are. Will see what happens but we are talking a few hundred feet of kerbing anyway. Too much, but when I do, we will get pressed kerbing. Thanks again.

Back