Solicitor Switching Costs

test123

We recently switched mortgages, availing of KBC €1000 solicitor switching costs.
We got the bill from the solicitor last week, totalling €1700.
His fee along was €1000, Vat, land registry fees & searches make up the remainder €700
I had foolishly assumed the €1000, would have covered all of the above.
As he was a friend we neglected to get a written quote, we were assured verbally his fee would only be a ‘few hundred’
Anyone any experience in switching mortgages? Did the €1000 KBC offer cover the Vat, land registry fees & search fees?

As he was a friend we neglected to get a written quote, we were assured verbally his fee would only be a ‘few hundred’

Anyone any experience in switching mortgages? Did the €1000 KBC offer cover the Vat, land registry fees & search fees?

The VAT, land registery fees and searches are not the solicitors fee. They are outside his control.

How much did you think his fee would be, you mention he said a few hundred. You have to query that aspect with him.

For your second question, does the 1K cover everything. Based on your bill do you really expect a solicitor to do this work for 300 Euro.

As you now know it is always advisable to get a written quote. Especially from a friend. And professionals should always provide one as it is best practice. I do believe it is compulsory for solicitors - do they not teach this in law school.

Ok, lesson learnt, get quotes off friends and family members!
I wasn't made aware by KBC or anywhere about mortgage switching costs of the land registery and searches fees
I was made aware of the valuation reports cost.

I asked my local solicitor about switching and was told it would cost about 1250 inc VAT and all fees etc. Additionally I'd have to pay 130 for a valuation.

Ok, lesson learnt, get quotes off friends and family members!
I wasn't made aware by KBC or anywhere about mortgage switching costs of the land registery and searches fees
I was made aware of the valuation reports cost.

It's not KBC's role. But your solicitor should have told you. (Why don't they do a standard format document for people as it seems to me people haven't got a clue)

I asked my local solicitor about switching and was told it would cost about 1250 inc VAT and all fees etc. Additionally I'd have to pay 130 for a valuation.

That's a very good quote, but of course switching is a whole different ball game to the legals of purchasing.

Back