Solicitor problems

glasto

My dad died intestate in February, and I appointed a local solicitor to deal with probate. This has been delayed by various things, not least the solicitors being very slow to get round to anything, like arrange valuation of property etc. I live 300 miles away, so am in no position to go in and kick ass. Anyway I am the sole heir (only child, parents divorced) so there is no issue there anyway. There is a little cash, some shares, and 50% of a co-ownership apartment.

So, yesterday I received documents to sign from the solicitor. They are showing dad's estate as including 100% of the value of the property rather than 50%, and also state a zero value for shares, which I know is wrong. They will not tell me what the shares are in, or how many there are for some reason ( even though I gave them the documentation with this information.) Because of these errors I now have little faith that the other figures in the draft statement of accounts are correct. I have asked for assurances and clarifications of various items and have been told' Oh yes, I'll check that', but I have no evidence of any such thing! For example, I was fairly sure my dad had two ISAs, but there is no sign of them on the statement. Obviously I am not going to sign anything yet, but can anyone advise on how I can follow this up? The solicitor and estate are in NI if that makes any difference, and the whole thing is well under IHT thresholds. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Having dealt with a probate situation in the past, I think it is essential that you do a lot yourself, ie. have bills, tax statements , bank statement, investment data etc and don't necessarily rely on anyone. After all you have inherited this and someone's hard work left it to you; think how long you would have to work to earn it. From what you say, I would be displeased with the service that you have got so far and I would take time off to see said solicitor and investigate. If not happy, see another solicitor and stop the process.

For example, I was fairly sure my dad had two ISAs, but there is no sign of them on the statement.

Are ISAs not British banking products.

Is this will in England?

How can readers of an Irish discussion boards assist?

Back