Solar panels and size of battery and earth rod

Mothergoose

I have gotten a quote now for 10 x panels, 5kw batter, diverter and EDDI. The assessor said I should get a 10kw battery, but the sales person said then that I would not have much hot water over the summer than if I got a 5kw battery. I want hot water from April to end September, and in winter I want to run a 2kw electric stove and use the washing machine and dishwasher for one load each as well as using the electric cooker. I will get the hot water from when we use our LPG gas boiler for three hours per day. The electric stove is just to op up the heating in the living area - no chimney in the house. I had hoped to charge up the battery from the night rate to use by stove, dishwasher, washing machine and cooker. Why is there a difference of opinion here between the assessor and the sales person on the type of battery I can get.

Also, the house was built in 2001, but the assessor said he couldn't find the earth rod, and that the panels need to be connected to the earth rod, and that therefore I need a new earth rod, which if they install it, will cost 500. My partner says every house has an earthrod and it is just burried around the house somewhere, but where is the question.

My partner says every house has an earthrod and it is just burried around the house somewhere, but where is the question.
I would expect that it's possible to trace it from the meter to the outside of the house. It should be close to wherever the meter is installed in most cases.

Check out Irish solar owners group on Facebook. Plenty of good advice.

Put up your question along with your quote on it and people help out. You can also search suppliers on it.

Use http://davidhunt.ie/solar/ as well for guidance

Agree 100%

I joined that group and spent about 2-3 months on it, before I bought my system...

I learnt a lot, and then got a far better deal then I ever would have obtained, without the advice, and installer recommendations, that I got from that group.

While people are well intended here, and have some knowledge, Askaboutmoney.com isn't where you find lots of experts on Solar.

Agree 100%

I joined that group and spent about 2-3 months on it, before I bought my system...

I learnt a lot, and then got a far better deal then I ever would have obtained, without the advice, and installer recommendations, that I got from that group.

While people are well intended here, and have some knowledge, Askaboutmoney.com isn't where you find lots of experts on Solar.
I'm not a fan of Facebook but like you said askaboutmoney is fantastic for some things but that group really is superb.

I saved over 3k between different installers quotes and went with a crew recommended on there. Now even then I did have issues with final invoice but I couldn't fault the work and the end set up I have.

I think the time frame of 2-3 months is probably about correct to get knowledge / info.

Get multiple quotes, that is the long and short of solar procurement. When you talk to 5 or 6 of them you quickly figure out who is full of hot air, and get close to fair prices.

anyone quoting in number of panels not KW size is already a marketing cowboy in my book.

Other factors include whether to get a battery, whether to get an eddi. Then what meter tariff to go on. What brand of equipment can have implications too further down the road.

Also other factors like is it worth it in the first place with what your requirements are and even something as similar as your type of roof, roof orientation and number of panels you can fit.

I'm currently in negative electricity bills for may despite the pretty poor weather

Back