Solar panels and birds

someCitizen

A few months ago i installed solar panels on the house which have worked quite well.

However I noticed that pigeons were taking quite an interest in them and began constantly sheltering in the space between the panels and the roof.

After looking a bit online it seems that isn't too common but can be dangerous as a fire hazard if they start nesting, and also a health concern as they are quite disease prone.

I've now managed to get a mesh around the sides of the panels which has stopped them. The mesh was put on by the original installer, was done quite quickly, and is barely noticeable when looking from the ground.

I'm writing this as it may be a consideration for others thinking about getting panels in. It might be worth discussing it with the installer at the outset if, like me, you'll be slowly losing your mind hearing pigeon noises all day as most of the cost of putting it in after the fact came from calling them out again.

I'm struggling to picture the pigeons getting under the panels - but perhaps you've different fixtures to me.

Was it expensive, to get the mesh fitted ?

I'm struggling to picture the pigeons getting under the panels - but perhaps you've different fixtures to me.

Was it expensive, to get the mesh fitted ?
Yeah it took me a while to realise that was what was going on because I didn't really think they'd be under there either but I saw them going under then and they were having no problem doing it! I don't think I have anything different fixture wise compared to any of the other houses I see with them.

It was a few hundred to get it all fixed up

Back