Soggy pencils on a Monday morning. Conspiracy?

S

S.L.F

I frequently have knee pads, pencils, screws, screw driver bits, nails, pens, various brackets, bits of wood, keys, notes (not money she always finds that) and knives in my work trousers and shirts.

After a day or a week of work I take them off and leave them beside smouldering the bed.
Come Monday morning I go to get them and they are gone!
So I approach Mrs. SLF and ask what happened and I'm told she washed them, which is a good thing of course, but she never checks the pockets.
If I wanted them to be washed I'd have them in the laundry basket.
I have spoken to other tradesmen they tell me their wives do the same thing.
Is there a secret society or something of tradesmen's wives where they have to leave their men with soggy pencils on a Monday morning.

Stop complaining.

This section is for letting off steam, which is precisely what I was doing.

I'm going to assume you aren't married or you don't work at a trade, if you did you'd know what I was talking about.

Tip for you- start leaving money in your pockets. We wives have a finely tuned psychic sense as to when it is worth our while emptying pockets.

Tip for you- start leaving money in your pockets. We wives have a finely tuned psychic sense as to when it is worth our while emptying pockets.

This I already know.

I frequently have walked towards the front door loaded with cash by the time I have crossed the threshold I've been mugged gently not violently (normally a big hug with wandering hands) and end up as skint as a beggar.

I'd swear if that woman was crooked she'd be the best pick pocket in business.

And I'd still end up with soggy pencils on a Monday morning.

This section is for letting off steam, which is precisely what I was doing.

I'm going to assume you aren't married or you don't work at a trade, if you did you'd know what I was talking about.

It was a joke about knowing when to be grateful. Having someone washing your clothes for you.

In LOS the responses aren't always going to be sympathetic.

It was a joke about knowing when to be grateful. Having someone washing your clothes for you.

In LOS the responses aren't always going to be sympathetic.

I have no need for sympathy from people I'll never meet or speak to.

I'm grateful for every little thing my wife does for me.

Soggy pencils on a Monday morning are a slight irritation but I'll get over it.

There are thousands of things that annoy my wife about me but I try to improve.

I just checked the top of the washing machine and guess what's there.....

Yeah you guessed it!

A soggy pencil.

I remember my husband deciding to do his own washing once. He ended up washing his wallet and destroying his drivers licence in the process.

I think Mrs SLF is trying to teach you how to do a wash - but she doesn't want to tell you this outright as that would be seen as nagging; instead she will continue to do the wash badly until (she hopes), in a fit of impatience, you will empty your own pockets and put the trousers in the washing machine yourself.

One of our "classic" family stories growing up was the time the washing machine was put on and it was found afterwards that the cat had been taking a nap in it. We were not allowed anymore family pets for some time...

I was visiting Ireland once and my husband put on a load in the washing machine, he rang me 3 times as he couldn't figure out why it wasn't emptying the water. It was still in it when I got back. Men seem to have a mental problem with the washing machine buttons.

OP why don't you take the pencil out of your workclothes when you come into the house

I remember my husband deciding to do his own washing once. He ended up washing his wallet and destroying his drivers licence in the process.
And he was never allowed do the washing again I presume? Cunning...

I have to agree that men have a problem when it comes to washing machines. I myself do not understand the various cycles. Why so many? . Ok, so there's different temperatures and different fabrics. But how do women figure out that particular garments are made of paerticular fabric and can be washed together at a certain temperature, without colours running? I never, ever, select a temperatuire higher than 50%....just in case!

And if it's made of wool, it stays in the basket!

Last edited:
Mrs Purple is not good at washing (or housework in general) so I end up doing most of the washing and ironing. I always check pockets before washing. My policy is that junk gets left on top of the machine, money goes into my pocket.

I end up doing most of the washing and ironing.
I never knew we had anything in common! :)

I have to agree that men have a problem when it comes to washing machines. I myself do not understand the various cycles. Why so many? . Ok, so there's different temperatures and different fabrics. But how do women figure out that particular garments are made of paerticular fabric and can be washed together at a certain temperature, without colours running?
Maybe they actually read those washing instruction tags on most mass produced clothes?

I frequently have knee pads, pencils, screws, screw driver bits, nails, pens, various brackets, bits of wood, keys, notes (not money she always finds that) and knives in my work trousers and shirts.

Something tells me that the first time Mrs S.L.F. did you the wonderful favour of washing your gently smoulderings she probably had to visit the doctor for a tetanus shot!!

Chances are you keep the notes and the knives in separate pockets and Mrs S.L.F. knows now which ones not to check ;)

And he was never allowed do the washing again I presume? Cunning...

he is allowed he just chooses not to :(. He did have to hall ass down to the motor tax people for a new provisional licence though. His driving test was the following week.

Any money left in pockets is considered a tip for the maid.

I'm surprised at the amount of men who seemingly don't use a washing machine. I admit, Mrs C does most of the washing but it wouldn't be at all unusual for me to 'put on a load'.

What's wrong with all these guys?

Back