Social Welfare Report

pache

I recently quoted to carry out works on a house, bearing in mind the current economic suituitation, and the customer told me that i was still living in celtic tiger ireland as regards the price(i know my prices are correct) and she has a guy starting on monday(last) and he's at least 40% cheaper than me.

I happen to know this guy and happen to know he is doing the job for cash.
He is also on the dole with a wealth of entitlements so its easy for him to beat my quote as i pay public&employers insu,paye,prsi,registration fees,vat,income tax,prelim tax for the year in advance,safety statement,safe pass,accountancy fees....excetera,excetera.

It sticks in my throat to see this happen while i payout pratically all my megere income in costs and this guy rides into the sunset unabated whilst the client dosent pay a red cent in vat.

Who and where can i contact to bring down this particular house of cards as it appears the powers that be seem only interesrted in enforcing the law on anyone who has respect for it and those in the black market,including customers,are lording it up at someone elses expense!!

Rant over,Pache.

It makes me sick every time I hear someone say that builders are getting loads of cash.

Think about it just who benefits from paying cash. It not the builder as the customer has already offered a discounted rate for the job by paying cash. This discounted rate is usually 30% to 50% less that the actual rate and the builder has no come back if the customer decides not to pay all of the money owed.

The people paying cash should be fined as well as the builder taking cash.

So Pache I understand your frustration as my OH is also a builder who has always carried on legitimate business. Not only are you now competing against the builder that is signing on you now have to compete with the "back to enterprise" workers who get to keep their dole for several years after starting their own business. The dole reduces on a sliding scale over a few years.

How the hell can any self-employed legitimate builder compete with that?

Thanks for the link guys,i think ill go ahead and report these two fradusters.
Im afraid im at a loss regards this scheme you mention.
Did i read it correct that some new business owners can retain their dole whilst carrying out their business???:confused:

It's called the Back to Work Enterprise Scheme, and is available to people who have been unemployed and start their own business. Payment continues for 2 years after the sign-off date - 100% entitlement for the first year and 75% for the second year. There were other entitlements for persons who started the scheme before May 2009. Anyone beginning the Back to Work Enterprise Scheme must register with the Revenue Commissioners.

There was a Back to Work scheme for employees, but that was discontinued in mid-2009.

IPD manages prosecutions - if you make a report to them they will forward it on to the local district to be investigated, so you would be better off simply anonymously writing to this person's local district tax office, including as much information about their activities as possible.

Back