social welfare inspector

sweet bear

A friend mine was staying with friends who are having their house paid by the social welfare officer scheme. My friend was told he would have to move out, because the social welfare inspectors are coming to inspect the property. Do inspectors still come out ?
If my friend is caught there in the house what problems would it caused for the family living there ?

Regards
Sweet bear

You might need to post more details about this situation. Are your friends engaging in welfare fraud?

These people are in accommodation paid for by the taxpayer through the Social Welfare system. Presumably your friend is paying them rent? This is fraud and there are serious consequences, not least of which is, that they might lose their home!!

In this case I think talk of social welfare fraud might be a bit premature. I suggest we get the facts first and then make the value judgements.

SW,
What is the "social welfare officer scheme"? Who administers the scheme?

aj

hi Liteweight

Answer to the question, no my friend wasnt paying rent to the family, he had no where to live so they let him stay for while on the sofa, until he found his feet... He has now found other accommdation where he is paying rent... What I wont to know do inspectors come to check who living in the house or do they check that the house is maintain?

Regards

sweet bear

The scheme is administered by the Health Board not Social Welfare and the Community Welfare Officers do sometimes call to the address to verify who is living in the accomadation.

from Oasis.

Community Welfare Officers (CWOs)

Community Welfare Officers (CWOs) are employed throughout Ireland by the .
CWOs are based in health centres and are responsible for the day to day administration of Community Welfare Services. Community Welfare Services include schemes such as:

Role of Community Welfare Officers (CWOs)

The majority of the work carried out by Community Welfare Officers is the administration of the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme

This scheme is funded and legislated for by the Department of Social and Family Affairs and administered by the Health Service Executive (HSE).
The types of payments made under this scheme include:
weekly Supplementary Welfare Allowance,
and exceptional needs payments for items such as buggies, clothing, etc.

The CWO is responsible for assessing the income of a person applying for payments under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme. This assessment may involve home visits to verify a person's place of residence for Rent Supplement purposes or simply to interview someone in surroundings that are more comfortable if he or she has special needs or is unable to visit his or her local health centre in person.

The CWO will actively refer individuals to other state agencies and/or voluntary organisations if these are appropriate to the client's needs. For example, the Community Welfare Officers may refer you to the or the .

In some areas (particularly rural areas), CWOs will also deal with applications relating to Medical Cards and Nursing Home Subventions. In urban areas such as Dublin, Cork or Galway, there are specific sections within the HSE that deal with these and other schemes.

Back