Social Justice

Purple

What do people mean when they use the term "Social Justice"?
Social Justice Ireland define their mission as "Working to build a just society where human rights are respected, human dignity is protected, human development is facilitated and the environment is respected and protected."
I'm all in favour of that but listening to Left-wing politicians and Sean Healy from the aforementioned Social Justice Ireland it seems to be used as a rational for adopting policies which would lead to equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity. That flies in the face of the notion of facilitating human development as it penalises those who successfully engage in their personal development.

So, how to other posters define Social Justice?

With you Purple, that equality of opportunity is {social Justice} in my book.
It is hard to put (opportunity) in front of (equality)
It is hard to set (opportunity) in place without sorting (equality)
Hard one to square,

It is not Social Justice to have people who without effort expect equality; to have their type of (lazy) equality classed as a (right)

Equality of opportunity and equality of outcome are in direct conflict.

In many areas of Irish life there is an increasing tendency to move away from equality of opportunity toward equality of outcome.

The area that concerns me most is education. I would like to see a situation where all kids were given as equal a chance as possible of obtaining an excellent education. What we are getting towards is a system where every one gets an education suited to the weakest learners.

Back