Social Housing Ratio in Estate?

Seonewbie

Hi Guys,

You were all very helpful when I was buying my place so I thought you may know the answer to a problem my friend is having in her ah development. Basically she bought a 2 bed apt under the ah scheme and many of the apts that were orginally assigned as ah have now been given over to social housing. It means that in a devlopment that was meant to be primarily ah with some social housing, it has become 80% social.

I was under the impression that designated ah houses could not then be reassigned to social. Am I right on this and does anyone know of where I can confirm this???

Also the maintenace fee have skyrocket this year which I know can happen but would this also be due to the large percentage of social housing. Do you think that maybe social don't pay anything towards the upkeep of the development so the ah residents have to cover the cost of the whole development. Is this right?

Thanks everyone for you help!

Ok for those that are interested and may have a similiar issue, I found the following information, it seems the council can do what they like in terms of the division of ah and social as long as they have enough houses. Will post more if I find anything else to the contrary;

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...me/help-with-buying-a-home/affordable_housing

Part 5 affordable housing
Part 5 of the Development Acts 2000-2002 allows a local authority to require developers to set aside up to 20% of new developments of five or more houses for social or affordable housing. The local authority will decide how much (if any) of the 20% will be affordable, social, voluntary, housing etc. This is determined in consultation with the developer, taking into account the appropriate percentage in the development plan.
There are no rules about where affordable houses should be located in new developments. It is for the local authority to decide which homes should be designated as affordable housing, as appropriate. For example the affordable houses may be peppered through the development/estate or may be grouped in pairs, in areas, etc. The proximity of these homes will all depend on what the local authority approve as most appropriate for the area and most appropriate for the residents of these homes.
Eligibility for Part 5 affordable housing
You are eligible to buy an affordable house provided under Part 5 of the Planning and Development Acts 2000-2002 if 35% of your income is not sufficient to enable you to buy a house.
Affordable Housing Initiative
The Affordable Housing Initiative (AHI) was introduced under the Sustaining Progress agreement. Under this initiative the Office of Public Works provides land on which new houses are built and sold.The AHI is meeting the needs of those who would formerly have been able to purchase a house, but now find themselves priced out of the market.
Eligibility for Affordable Housing Initiative
You are eligible to buy an affordable house provided under the Affordable Housing Initiative (AHI) if 35% of your income is not sufficient to enable you to buy a house.

The council can do what they like Im afraid. They do pay maintenance fees though. Check with the maintenance company if they have paid them and ask them why they are putting them up. Or if you have a residents committee they should be able to find out easily enough.

Back