Snow Chains/ Winter Tyres

my understanding was that snow chains here were illegal, because the roads here aren't strong enough for them, and are too easily damaged. could be wrong though...!!

my understanding was that snow chains here were illegal, because the roads here aren't strong enough for them, and are too easily damaged. could be wrong though...!!

They're not illegal as such, but doing deliberate or careless damage to the road is illegal, by whatever means. In other words, use them on snow and ice but take them off as soon as you hit tarmac. They won't do your tyres and suspension any favours if you leave them on, in any case.

Snow socks are so easy to fit, far easier than changing a wheel, would equate fitting them to dressing yourself, seriously. Put them over the top of the tyre, move the car, forward or reverse, just enough to put the rest of the sock over the tyre, it'll go over easily, it's elastic. That's it. It's not advisable to use them on clear roads, certainly not for any distance. But remember, it's easy to put them on and off. They stick to snow and ice, excellent product and cost around 75 euro. To order you need your tyre size, you'll see it on the side of the tyre and it'll read something like 165 75 14, numbers vary according to tyre size. Recommended.

What sort of mileage (Kms) would get from a set or are they a one journey one use kind of thing?

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Tyre socks are not be suitable for Irish/ UK roads. A few comments in this tread are inaccurate as the sock is just an elastic fabric which stretches around the tyre. The suppliers are making a killing!

You can only travel at 30mph / 50 kms.

The main problem is the fact that once you leave your estate etc you are then on a national road or motorway, where the snow has been cleared to a wall like format on the road side of the hard shoulder, so you actually do not have an option to pull over to take them off or they will get badly torn. and wrap themselves around the Drive shaft. You can see some pieces of them on the M50!

Why pay E75 for 1 week of use? It is not good value for money. Better to invest in a good set of european made summer/standard tyres and make sure you have a minimum of 4 mm of rubber heading into Winter next year.

Or a cheap set of winter tyres would probably would be the better way to go. Once the temperature goes below 7 degrees, the standard tyres start to go hard and become less flexible.

Other countries plan for this weather, we Irish just panic over it...

Keep her lite....

Or a cheap set of winter tyres would probably would be the better way to go. Once the temperature goes below 7 degrees, the standard tyres start to go hard and become less flexible.

I have rung around all the tyre sales places in Galway and nobody sells winter tyres or appears to have any intention of ever stocking them. Which is mad as they would probably have no problem selling them.

We lived in Europe and bought our last set of winter tyres on line.
Dunno if they deliver to Ireland though, can see why not.

Better to invest in a good set of european made summer/standard tyres and make sure you have a minimum of 4 mm of rubber heading into Winter next year.

Why on earth would you recommend buying summer tyres now?! and then contradict yourself..

Winter tyres (part used especially) are money well spent. I bought 4 part-used winter tyres (about 5-6mm tread) for €35ea and I have no fears about being stuck.
(4wd car helps also ;), but in summer tyres was spinning wheels everywhere, not so now).

I got a pair of snow socks in B&Q for €69 but haven,t used them yet. I was told to use one on the back and one front with a rear wheel drive car???

I got a pair of snow socks in B&Q for €69 but haven,t used them yet. I was told to use one on the back and one front with a rear wheel drive car???

That was the correct advice. For rear wheel drives, you need to use a pair on the driven wheels and another pair on the front steering wheels. No point having traction at the rear if you can't point it in the direction you want.
Leo

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Tyre socks are not be suitable for Irish/ UK roads. A few comments in this tread are inaccurate as the sock is just an elastic fabric which stretches around the tyre. The suppliers are making a killing! ....

I have a pair of snow socks for the car, but hope to never use them. i.e. they're for emergency use, not for every day use (which a winter tyre would be).
The problem I see with winter tyres are:
1) you need to change them in the summer, otherwise they'll wear twice as fast as a regular tyre. Not everyone has a spare set of wheels or the storage.
2) I've also heard they're less effective than regular tyres in the rain or on wet roads?

That would be one pair i.e. you need them for all 4 wheels, in the case of a rear wheel drive.

with rear wheels the lack of weight is also a factor so try it with a bag of sand in the boot.. you may be surprised.

noah

Had a major skid on a straight road - driving Mercedes ML500 - yes, a 5 litre car, not 4 wheel drive. Luckily, was able to steer away from oncoming traffic. Now, have bags of salt in back (need it for the water filter anyway) and have just bought snow socks in Halfords in Carrickmines - so, bring on that packed ice again - I'm so ready for it! :D

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Tyre socks are not be suitable for Irish/ UK roads. A few comments in this tread are inaccurate as the sock is just an elastic fabric which stretches around the tyre. The suppliers are making a killing!

You can only travel at 30mph / 50 kms.

The main problem is the fact that once you leave your estate etc you are then on a national road or motorway, where the snow has been cleared to a wall like format on the road side of the hard shoulder, so you actually do not have an option to pull over to take them off or they will get badly torn. and wrap themselves around the Drive shaft. You can see some pieces of them on the M50!

Why pay E75 for 1 week of use? It is not good value for money. Better to invest in a good set of european made summer/standard tyres and make sure you have a minimum of 4 mm of rubber heading into Winter next year.

Other countries plan for this weather, we Irish just panic over it...

Keep her lite....

Snow socks are for travelling on snow and ice, full stop. Given thats what they're made for I think 50kmh is fast enough to be travelling!

I live in rural Ireland off the primary routes, where roads are often not treated at all. Snow socks mean I can travel these ice and snow-covered roads, at a speed appropriate to the conditions without fear of getting stuck. Once I hit the cleared roads or can see a clear road ahead I whip them off immediately. That's what they're for, nothing more. That's the product you'll be buying.

Back