Snagging, completion and interest charges

Tazz

We're buying a new house. Completion date was in October, but due to delays at the builders end, we only did the 1st snag in November. The place was a disaster area (not really ready for snagging) so it was over a month before we could do a second snag. That was a couple of weeks ago. There was still a good 4 pages of snags (some quite major). Yesterday we get notice that the house is finished and completion must happen today or else we'll be charged interest daily (on well over 1/2 a million).

Now we haven't got to check the 2nd snag or check the heating as the gas hadn't been commissioned in the last snag. And there are a couple of other important items that need checking. The chances of getting our architect out before the end of the week is very slim.

Our solictor says the snagging issues are 'aesthetic' and has advised us to complete. Obviously it's not very considerate for the developer to pressure us into completion just before Xmas (no chance of getting flooring installed never mind removals) but he seems more interested in getting his money before the end of the builders financial year (this week). So do they have a leg to stand on when it comes to charging interest. Has anybody else experienced this and what was the outcome?

Obviously, we'd like to complete at the beginning of next year so we have a change to make sure the property is finished. Regardless of that, we're going to be abroad (my partner has already left) over Xmas. Anybody else's experience would be appreciated.

Personally I'd like to tell the buider to shag off as they have not given us reasonable notice for completion, but obviously I have to take on board what the solicitor says.

You'll have to take your solicitors advice as it depends on the terms of the building contract.

With respect, your solicitor does not have the expertise to determine whether or not the snagging issues are merely aesthetic. He or she should have the expertise to determine whether you will have to pay interest if you do not now complete.

I would suggest that you (a) contact your architect and ask their views on whether there structural or systemic problems which need to be dealt with. If there are non "aesthetic" issues, I would hold out if possible, and consult your solicitor on the terms of the contract - a day's notice to complete sounds as if someone's messed up somewhere along the line. If there are no items of major concern, or if you are locked into completing today, then (b) ask your solicitor to obtain an undertaking from the builders that all outstanding snag items will be dealt with, as a condition of completing the sale.

... has this been rendered moot by occurrences during the day?! Hope all has gone well, if so!

Solicitor seems to think that we had a month to complete from when they originally said the house was ready to snag. This was well over a month ago. The problem is, due to Xmas etc, we can't get Architect/Snagger to visit before Friday which is too late for the bank to make completion payment.

There was serious problems on the last snag list and we have decided we aren't going to complete until we've visually checked that these have been completed (eg: gas failed - we have been told this has been rectified but heating has not been tested). In our opinion 'reasonable notice to complete' has not been served.

I'll update this thread with the result. In the meantime, any other experiences would be welcomed. Has anyone here had to pay interest as a result of not completing because of unfinished snag items?

Hi There,

How did you fare out ? I am in a similar situation today but the cheque wont come thru until next week.

Should I be worried about my deposit ?

Thanks, Tinpot

Back