Smoking and shared apartments building

wondering

I'm going to view an apartment soon and this may be a strange question, but can someone tell me what is the law around smoking in property now?

The place I'm living now, I've been there almost a decade and it's non-smoking and has always been.

Before that - again a building with apartments - the common area/hallway sometimes had smoke you had to walk through or it would be obvious someone was smoking.

This around 15 years ago though, so a lot has changed since then, where many now work from home (smoking being banned in workplaces).

I saw recently as well that there's some new law proposed against smoking in shared areas such as park benches. Would this also cover standing near someone's window ?

So basically I'm not up-to-date on what the law is now and going to view this apartment, I'd like to have an idea, to ask the right questions.

There was no "no smoking" on the ad.

I'm pretty sure that whether or not smoking is allowed in the rental unit itself depends on the lease. Signage should clarify if smoking isn't allowed (either by law or policy) in common areas (corridors, shared spaces, outdoors on the property etc.).

You might find more detailed info here and in the links it contains...

Back