Smell in car - any ideas?

Although I fail to see how water in the washer bottle would affect your cabin, I will look into that too.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions. When I created this thread I thought it would be one of those 150views with no replies. Cheers:)

My last car had a leak around the aerial in the roof, it was so small it was there for a long time before it was located. The top part of the roof cloth was full of mould and yuck it smelt.

Dude thats so silly! take your car to a garage...now seriouslly, any mechanic can fix that with the eyes closed! Your problem is with the heating ... :) that happened to me before! I know exacly what it is but dont remember wha tis it called...i will be back shortly..as soon as i remember the name :)

Having similiar l problems with smells in a 2001 Mark IV Golf 1.9 TDI 90BHp model. Is the pollen/cabin filter located underneath the glove compartment or under the bonnet on steering column side?

on my 01 Golf I think (haven't checked yet) its located under the bonnet on the RHS as you stand looking at it i.e. in front of the passenger seat.

You lift the rubber strip and there is a few Philips head screws there. In behind that if the video on YouTube I watched is correct.

I am going to the autopart store now to pick up a replacement filter, and will hopefully get a chance over the next couple of days to change it (wife uses it during day and too dark at night to do it).

Will keep you updated.

If it is the VW plenum chamber drain problem you may not find it easily, you have to push down on the carpets quite hard as there's a lot of foam under there. Push down and it'll feel damp.

You need to make sure the drains are clear too, changing the filter on its own won't be enough.

Don't leave this too long as the alarm/convenience unit is down on that side of the car too, at least it is on Passats/A4s/Octavias, I think Golfs are the same. You don't want that rusting, although it's supposed to be in a waterproof box on new ones.

Incidentally I bought a bottle of Tesco screenwash recently and it absolutely stank in use, truly revolting!

SSE

Just as an update, changed the cabin pollen filter and no real difference (having said that, the smell levels were on the decrease anyway over the last week or two).

So that wasn't to blame. Need to try something else.:rolleyes:

Tried all the Febreze thingees but nothing has worked. If you don't use the car for a day or two and get back in its terrible.
I would try bread soda rather than Febreze. If, by chance, there is some acidic spill then bread soda should nullify it.

there is a lot of rain lately, is the car parked outside at night/ also is it parked level. mu a6 was parked on an upward slop and all the water was gathering by the battery in front of the windscreen, eventually it came into the floor till i unblocked the drain holes,,

Back