Smell in bedroom

roytheboyo

Hi,
Over last few months a smell has developed in the bedroom. I think its the mattress (which has a latex rubber memory foam top bit(dont laugh)).
Did anyone experience this before?
Roy

never heard of that.i got a great tip yesterday for removing bad smells in the home (my daughter vomit on the carpet) get a spray bottle put in a shot of white vinigar and 2 shots of water.shake and spray he hell outta the mattress. i just did it this morning to the carpet and the smell of vomit has gone and the smell of viniger.

Are you sure its the mattress and not the light fitting. They can burn inside and start to smell like rotten fish.

I think I read a thread before on AAM about those latex mattresses being very smelly, have a search

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will take all advice, never heard of the light fitting smelling, but will check it out.

Oh god - the light fitting- we had that problem before and it took us AGES to work out what it was...the type of smell it emits is utterly gross!

The light fitting smell is utterly rank. We were thinking all sorts, cat wee, dead rat under the floorboards when in fact it was just the light fitting.

god i remember years ago having a smell like that in my sitting room. turned out to be the light fitting. after months of sniffing everything except the light fitting! since then i will never have a shade on a bulb. worst smell ever!

Its usually not the shade but the light fitting and usually needs replacing. Not something to ignore.

aircobra19Re: Smell in bedroom
Its usually not the shade but the light fitting and usually needs replacing. Not something to ignore.

Have a similar problem in the bedroom...is it the fitting for the bulb or the ceiling rose... or the complete piece from ceiling rose to fitting that you should replace?!

Anyone find out why or how this happens? Don't normally use the centre light all that often.... !!!

Have a similar problem in the bedroom...is it the fitting for the bulb or the ceiling rose... or the complete piece from ceiling rose to fitting that you should replace?!

Anyone find out why or how this happens? Don't normally use the centre light all that often.... !!!

An electrician told me many years ago that cat gut was used in the section that the bulb fits into it and this is what causes the smell when it needs to be replaced.

However, it's far more likely in this case that the smell is from the memory foam mattress topper. It'll wear off in a while.

Older light fitings were made with urea formaldehyde which breaks down at high temperature. Urea is the smell of urine and formaldehyde the smell of the good old disection room mmmmmm.

Smelly memory foam is very common a quick google will confirm.

Often the smell is accounted for by the fireretardant applied to the foam - cheaper products use boric acid which some people can smell in the minutest quantities me included.

Another point to note is that individual light fittings and shades have a maximum bulb rating fitting too large a bulb will overheat the plastic and cause even modern plastics to degrade.

We just changed the light bulb and it got rid of the smell. We might have unknowingly replaced it with a lower wattage bulb that didn't get so hot?

Might be worth trying that first instead of pulling out your electrics.

It happens to Bakelite (old) fittings.

Google "bakelite fitting smell" to find out all about it. (Apparently usually smells of fish).

I've also got a lingering smell in my spare bedroom. The house is a new build and the room is used infrequently. Occasionally I leave items for storage and they develop the odour also. I've smelt everything up close and the smell dosen't seem to be of anything specific. Any ideas anyone?.

Back