Small estate. Do I need to take out probate?

mb2024

Im
Executor of a family members Will. Doesn’t appear that probate is needed as no assets other than small bank account, that balance has been released. Can I distribute myself after paying funeral etc as the majority goes to me and sibling.. one specific small cash amount to grandchild do I need a solicitor to do this? Or can I do it myself? Thank you

No do you not need probate if the estate is small enough.

See here:

The Small Estates Procedure

This procedure allows estates of under €25,000 to be administered without the need for a grant of probate/grant of administration. Generally, this procedure is used when the only asset is a bank account with funds of under €25,000. In such cases, the financial institution may release funds upon form completion. Each institution has varying requirements. Contact the relevant one to check availability.

In your case the only asset, the bank account, the monies have already been given to you by the bank. You pay the funeral expenses and give the grandchild their bequest and then you and your sibling get 50/50.

Ok thank you for reply, is it better for solicitor to send cheque as its to be in a trust for them? The wording in will named her father as trustee but he has passed away so I presume a trust with mom?

Ok thank you for reply, is it better for solicitor to send cheque as its to be in a trust for them? The wording in will named her father as trustee but he has passed away so I presume a trust with mom?
Meant to clarify for grandchild

If the trustee named in the will has passed away, then I would think that that section of the will is no longer valid - but you need to verify that with a solicitor

I don't think trusteeship passes from one person to another that easily

If you’re still under 25k in total, the amount for the grandchild can’t be huge. Just give it to the mother. Spare yourself the expense of a solicitor.

How much is it? What is the wording in the will?

If you’re still under 25k in total, the amount for the grandchild can’t be huge. Just give it to the mother. Spare yourself the expense of a solicitor.
I would give it regardless.. do I just get a bank draft? Sorry new to all this want to make sure there are no repercussions if done incorrectly!

I would give it regardless.. do I just get a bank draft? Sorry new to all this want to make sure there are no repercussions if done incorrectly!
By any method that creates a record (for your own sake) e.g. bank transfer. You could ask the mother to confirm by email that the amount has been received.

Back