Small but tall houses...

stresshead

This is a really moany, pointless one so apologies!

Okay, I’d like to have a bit of a “give out” about the property market, not the prices though, think that’s been done once or twice on AAM…it’s about the new houses they’re building nowadays.

A friend of mine was looking at a 4-bed house in a country town, build around 3 years ago. “Lovely” I thought to myself, “and isn’t she lucky she can afford it”. Anyway, I got to see the brochure and it is 4-bed end of terrace over 3 stories, so the ground floor is even smaller than the average 3-bed semi-d (small sitting room, reasonable sized kitchen), there are 2 double beds on the 1st floor and 1 bedroom/study (aka tiny), then on the top floor there is another quite small bedroom.

Do people not want more living space? I know if I could ever afford a bigger place I would want a bigger kitchen, sitting room, or maybe even a separate diningroom. So that me and mr. stresshead can avoid each other when the grumpiness overcomes us! People aren’t even having huge families anymore, and if you do fill all those extra bedrooms with kids where do they all sit/play/create a mess during the day – down in your poky living area with you driving you crazy!

I know the reason houses are built this way nowadays are so the developers can fit more in etc etc but I just hate it! And don’t even get me started on people building 4-storey-high blocks of apartments in the middle of nowhere in Roscommon.

Okay I know this has all been said before but it’s just been annoying me this week! That is all.

My cousin has a house like this. It's a 1800 Sq foot house over three stories. In other words it's a 1300 Sq foot house with the attic converted by the builder.

I have noticed the phenomenon in recent years for newly built detached houses to be very wide and double fronted but to have no depth

Look big from the outside but have small rooms inside

I'd actually be more concerned with the lack of space outside these houses, then the lack of space inside. If you're lucky you'll get a tiny garden for the kids to play in, usually there will be some sort of central common/green which IMO is going to create trouble a couple of years down the road when you have large groups of teenagers with nowhere else to go.

Maybe some people like the "tall with small rooms" arrangement? Those that don't can buy something different that suits their own needs/wants. What's the big deal?

Maybe some people like the "tall with small rooms" arrangement?Those that don't can buy something different that suits their own needs/wants.

I'm sure there are lots of people who like this style and I have no problem with that - I was just expressing the opinion that I prefer the more traditional style houses. I was also noting that when it comes to new-build 3/4 bed houses these are the style being built.

This means that for people who don't like them but who want 3/4 bedrooms they will have to go for a more traditional, 2nd hand house and face stamp-duty etc.

What's the big deal?

There is no big deal I was just commenting on this new trend as it had come to my notice over the past weeks. Okay?

I really love this forum and have recieved much good advice and for that i am very grateful.

BUT from much reading over a long period of time, it appears that there are one or two moderators who like to simply make smart remarks. I'm not sure if it's a poor sense of humour sometimes or a feeling of some sort of authority but personally I don't find the comments very constructive!

That's all..

I really love this forum and have recieved much good advice and for that i am very grateful.

BUT from much reading over a long period of time, it appears that there are one or two moderators who like to simply make smart remarks. I'm not sure if it's a poor sense of humour sometimes or a feeling of some sort of authority but personally I don't find the comments very constructive!

That's all..

Agreed - I have found this forum very helpful over the past year but this sort of reaction to people’s threads has increased and it can be frustrating to read, and downright intimidating to any potential new posters. If one cannot express an opinion in Letting off Steam then what is the point of having such a section.

I think I’ll leave it there.

In the unlikely event that you happen to be referring to me above then what's smart about my earlier comments? The original poster admitted that the complaint was pointless and yet annoyed him for a whole week and I simply responded to this. What's the problem with that? Especially in a forum called Letting Off Steam? Maybe we need a new forum or even a site called Moan About "Certain Moderators" to allow certain people to air their grievances whether real or, more likely, imagined about "certain moderators". :rolleyes:

In the unlikely event that you happen to be referring to me above then what's smart about my earlier comments? The original poster admitted that the complaint was pointless and yet annoyed him for a whole week and I simply responded to this. What's the problem with that? Especially in a forum called Letting Off Steam? Maybe we need a new forum or even a site called Moan About "Certain Moderators" to allow certain people to air their grievances whether real or, more likely, imagined about "certain moderators". :rolleyes:

Need I say more....

Need I say more....
Well you could clarify if you were referring to me above and, if so, outline precisely where you thought that my comments were smart in the context of the original post/query. Otherwise - no.

Well you could clarify if you were referring to me above and, if so, outline precisely where you thought that my comments were smart in the context of the original post/query. Otherwise - no.

Jeez Clubman you can be such a pedant sometimes :)

Back