Small bedroom storage solutions

Pope John 11

Looking for ideas for small bed room storage needs.

Looking also to get one of these [broken link removed], to get rid of a chest of drawers in the room. Where can you get one of these?

Or getting suitable materials for making one of these

I would also like to remove the wardrobe from the room as it takes up the only real floor space for a study desk. Any ideas on something that is supported off the wall only & works as a wardrobe.

I a huge fan of Ikea, but a lot of their stuff is really not small. In particular be careful about their beds, which all seem to be slightly larger than you might expect.

You don't say if you need your room to be primarily a bedroom or an office. (I presume it's office, as I don't see how you could have a bedroom with no wardrobe at all). If it's to be primarily an office then maybe you could save space with a sofa bed (and Ikea are great for those - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10663/series).

I a huge fan of Ikea, but a lot of their stuff is really not small. In particular be careful about their beds, which all seem to be slightly larger than you might expect.

You don't say if you need your room to be primarily a bedroom or an office. (I presume it's office, as I don't see how you could have a bedroom with no wardrobe at all). If it's to be primarily an office then maybe you could save space with a sofa bed (and Ikea are great for those - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10663/series).

No duggem, this is a bedroom, but I was hoping to mount some form of a wardrobe on the wall or if I cannot find one then using only a wardrobe that is half the width, ie. 500mm in width.

My plan was to install a single bed with ample storage underneath using drawers, this elimates the set of standing chest of drawers, put in a study desk & chair, put in loads of wall mounted shelving as the floor to ceiling height is over 8ft, either put in 2 half wardrobes which I have seen or put in something that resembles a wardrobe, only its wall mounted.

Definitely like those drawers but they sure are expensive for what's involved.

If that bed is for a child I wouldn't be comfortable with it being so high off the floor. Too many of them dream and thrash around the place. My son got a bad cut above his eye from a bedside locker when he fell out of the bed when he was young.

Just a guideline. If you decide on the under-bed storage units make sure that the base of the bed is high enough off the floor to accommodate the units. When measuring the depth of the unit against the under-bed depth, take into account the added depth required when castors are added. Don't make them too deep, unless you are prepared for some heavy pulling if they are over-loaded.

I've just re-read your post.. thought perhaps you were thinking of buying/making these units yourself. :eek:My better half made some of these units for storage under a bed which we already had.

Another minus factor to them would be the dust especially where wooden floors are. Would probably need some cover but despite all of that still think they are a good idea.

One other thing just to be aware of with those under-bed drawers (I have drawers in my divan) is that you can't easily access the drawer next to e.g. a bedside table. So the drawers at each side of the top of the bed aren't really useful for everyday items.

Just a guideline. If you decide on the under-bed storage units make sure that the base of the bed is high enough off the floor to accommodate the units. When measuring the depth of the unit against the under-bed depth, take into account the added depth required when castors are added. Don't make them too deep, unless you are prepared for some heavy pulling if they are over-loaded.

I've just re-read your post.. thought perhaps you were thinking of buying/making these units yourself. :eek:My better half made some of these units for storage under a bed which we already had.

I was thinking of doing this too, all options are open to me. I was looking this morning at the chest of drawers & I was thinking of using the four drawers putting two back to back & putting the wheels under each.

That at least would save me making the drawers

Have a look at argos too. They have drawers that will fit under existing beds.

I also have the divan option and don't really like it. I've a valance over it, the drawers are too big and awkward. The drawers under the bed are great for longer term storage. I'd prefer something like this for day to day use

I've wardrobe built over my bed - that's a real life saver and very efficient use of space. Again - get ideas from the argos web site.

Have a look at argos too. They have drawers that will fit under existing beds.

I also have the divan option and don't really like it. I've a valance over it, the drawers are too big and awkward. The drawers under the bed are great for longer term storage. I'd prefer something like this for day to day use

I've wardrobe built over my bed - that's a real life saver and very efficient use of space. Again - get ideas from the argos web site.

The 1st thought is exactly what I will do, only I will use the exsiting chest of drawers & only put a set of castors or wheels under.

The second idea is exactly what I was going to do over the bed only & over the main door as you enter the room. The bed head board & door are on the same wall. This wall is only 2m wide. Just for anyone else with further thoughts the room length is only 2.7m long.

Yes its what you would call a box room or prision cell.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.

If you do go with the idea of using the drawers don't forget you'll have to re-inforce each corner of the drawer base so that the castors can be fitted properly. You should also make sure that the front panel is well secured to the sides so that it won't come apart when being pulled. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Take a look at IKEA for these type of products. I was up in Belfast a few weeks back and they have all of these products.
Here is a sample... http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80120598.

The sample above was only a link to the web area. There are lots of wood veneer examples of what you are looking.
e.g. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00120564
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60162886 (this is a day bed which folds in).

However if you want to design/build your own try downloading IKEAs design tool and building your "perfect" bedroom.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/rooms_ideas/splashplanners.html

We have the divan drawers too, don't use them, too heavy and awkward.

think these are good especially as they have covers for dust

What about a high sleeper bed with a desk and wardrobe underneath and then use the floor space where you had intended to put the desk for a tall chest of drawers

Have a look at this selection

[broken link removed]

Thanks for that, I think I will used the chest of drawers, fix 2 back to back, fix 6-9mm thick 100mm wide tongued & grooved to the sides, set of castor wheels under. Ok this is solved, a chest of drawers under the bed. It means I can hold onto the bed I have already.

Any good wall mounting shelves out there. I mean the type that will hold A4 lever arch files etc. Again I would be looking for a timber look. Saw the typical metal type ones in B&Q today, too cold looking for the room.

Two no. decent half width wardrobes, I will look at the argos range.

Any desks out there that can be fixed to the wall & set in position.

What about a high sleeper bed with a desk and wardrobe underneath and then use the floor space where you had intended to put the desk for a tall chest of drawers

Have a look at this selection

[broken link removed]

Cheers for that ClaireM. I have a high sleeper at the minute from IKEA, but it is 2m x 1.2m wide, it takes up a lot of, lets call it ceiling space, which I do not like. I prefer to put bak in the single bed which I still have & work around it with clever solutions.

I suppose I am trying to make this room work for an adult, using the typical storage ideas for kids bedrooms.

As said before the room is 2.7x2.0m.

I would like to put in a single bed, chest of drawers-under the bed, wall mounted book shelving, 2 half width wardrobes, desk & chair, corner shelf for TV etc

Back