Small bathroom renovation

I have received a quote and the installer wants to take down the four walls in our bathroom (all of which have some tiling). He doesn't want to take the existing tiles off, just rip the whole wall down. Then replace with new walls, then retile.
Assuming no damp or water penetration issues, it is almost impossible to remove tiles from a wall without pulling lots of plaster and chunks of plasterboard off with them. You end up with hours of labour to ensure all the old adhesive is removed and the holes patched to create a smooth surface ready for re-tiling. Plus, sufficient time must be allowed to ensure the patching is 100% dry before tiling over it. Removing and replacing the the entire section of plasterboard will be quicker and ensure a a flat stable surface the new tiles won't fall off in a year or two.

Scoring along the top of the wall at the ceiling will prevent damage there, As @Pinoy adventure says though, the water resistant plasterboard or cement board is much better suited to this.

I just got a quote for a bathroom renovation (approx size 2m x3m) of 10,000e. This includes tiles, labour, unit and replacement of bath with walk in power shower all from the one company. Is that the 'norm' now as I wasn't expecting it to be that high?!

I just got a quote for a bathroom renovation (approx size 2m x3m) of 10,000e. This includes tiles, labour, unit and replacement of bath with walk in power shower all from the one company. Is that the 'norm' now as I wasn't expecting it to be that high?!
We replaced a similar size bathroom last year, including shower for bath. We chose and supplied all tiles and fittings ourselves. That is about the ballpark figure we paid for material and labour. Very happy with the job.

It really depends on the spec of new items,like the tiles for example could be €500 or €2000.the taps could be €75 or €300.
€10,000 would be on the high side for such as size but it’s the spec that really matters.

We did a similar size bathroom last summer, tiles floor, walls to ceiling, new shower bath, sink with press and all fittings incl light and mirror for €5,250. The tiles were the most expensive in the shop! We sourced and bought all materials. We have a great plumber who did it all.

We did a similar size bathroom last summer, tiles floor, walls to ceiling, new shower bath, sink with press and all fittings incl light and mirror for €5,250. The tiles were the most expensive in the shop! We sourced and bought all materials. We have a great plumber who did it all.
That seems an incredible price. We paid just over €4,000 for fixtures and fittings alone. That doesn't include extractor fan, ceiling lights, marine ply, moisture resistant plasterboard, tanking, tile adhesives and grouts, etc, which were supplied by the contractor/plumber (plus skip).

Perhaps a breakdown of the parts and prices might help, others can weigh in on whether you're getting good value on all aspects.

It really depends on the spec of new items,like the tiles for example could be €500 or €2000.the taps could be €75 or €300.
€10,000 would be on the high side for such as size but it’s the spec that really matters.
Nothing has been chosen, that is just the 1st level quote I got after the fitter measured up so no fittings,tiles etc have actually been picked yet! I was told the labour was 4k though.

Nothing has been chosen, that is just the 1st level quote I got after the fitter measured up so no fittings,tiles etc have actually been picked yet! I was told the labour was 4k though.
How long did they say the job would take?

Perhaps a breakdown of the parts and prices might help, others can weigh in on whether you're getting good value on all aspects.
Rounded figures for fixtures and fittings (chosen by ourselves):

Tiles: 900
Large cabinet/storage 530
Shower Tray 650
Shower Panel/Screen 350
Toilet (shrouded) 330
Basin+Pedestal 160
Power Shower unit 550
Heated towel rail 200
Mirror with lighting 250
Taps 85
Assorted misc 120

Contractor/Labour €5800 (inclusive of VAT)
(Plumber, Carpenter, Tiler, Electrician at various stages.)

Total €9,920.

Contractor also supplied skip, moisture resistant plaster board, marine ply, tile backing board, tanking, adhesives and grout, ceiling lights and extractor fan (+ bits and pieces). Old bathroom fully stripped.

I would have thought that our fixtures and fittings were mid-range. We wanted something we would be happy with mid to long-term. We could have economised on these (or gone higher) but it would not have altered the contractor charge.

Rounded figures for fixtures and fittings (chosen by ourselves):

Tiles: 900
Large cabinet/storage 530
Shower Tray 650
Shower Panel/Screen 350
Toilet (shrouded) 330
Basin+Pedestal 160
Power Shower unit 550
Heated towel rail 200
Mirror with lighting 250
Taps 85
Assorted misc 120

Contractor/Labour €5800 (inclusive of VAT)
(Plumber, Carpenter, Tiler, Electrician at various stages.)

Total €9,920.

Contractor also supplied skip, moisture resistant plaster board, marine ply, tile backing board, tanking, adhesives and grout, ceiling lights and extractor fan (+ bits and pieces). Old bathroom fully stripped.

I would have thought that our fixtures and fittings were mid-range. We wanted something we would be happy with mid to long-term. We could have economised on these (or gone higher) but it would not have altered the contractor charge.
Thanks for that, v. helpful for when I meet them to see how quote is made up.

We're in the process of getting ours renovated. Phones a number of companies who do bathroom renovations, first thing I was told that cost would be €7.5 or above. We have selected tiles, sanitary wear etc and our total cost is coming in at €10k. (Munster area).

Got upstairs bathroom just done. Contractor/Labour €6200 (inclusive of VAT). (Plumber, Carpenter, Tiler, Electrician etc.) Dublin region. Not a huge bathroom.
Refurbish upstairs toilet -strip out, refit new suite (supplied by client) reslab with insulated moisture boards, S/F concrete board on the floor, tank wet area in fibreglass tanking, tile as directed (design supplied by client ), Supply and fit 4 spots; 1 mirror light connection, skim ceiling,
Supply and fit new bathroom door, door frame, architrave and ironmongery. We changed layout of bathroom to get rid of old boxed pipes and put waste on outside. Bathroom was part of extension retrofit performed on house but upstairs bathroom price agreed seperately.

Fittings we bought. (Already had electric shower which was relatively new)
Bathroom Shower Tray 185
Bathroom Shower Enclosure 279
Bathroom Toilet 315
Bathroom Vanity Unit + Tap 470
Bathroom Tiles 665
Bathroom Trims 30
Bathroom Adhesive Grout 129
Bathroom Mirror 150
Bathroom Towel Radiator 109
Bathroom Tall Boy 199
Bathroom Valves 25
Delivery 30