Slug killer safe on Cats and small children

bazermc

Hi all

We have a serious issue with slugs and snails in our backgarden. However, will also have a cat and a toddler that both use the garden area

Is there any slug killer product that is also safe to use with cats. Or are all products generally safe with cats?

Thanks

Maybe it's something to do with the exceptionally wet weather, on a bad day I can collect between 30 to 40 slugs in my back garden and up to 10 snails. I've never seen anything like the numbers this year and they are somehow finding their way into my greenhouse!

Recently bought Sluggo from this garden supplier in Monkstown - it's an organic slug and snail killer - ferric phosphate. Occurs naturally in the environment, doesn't harm earth worms and doesn't contaminate your crop.

It does say to keep out of reach of children, so not sure if I would put it in the garden where a toddler is crawling around. I have a cat and he's not suffered any ill effects from it.

It works well, but I catch most of the slugs with beer traps and wooden boards placed randomly in the garden and greenhouse. They crawl under the boards when they've finished feeding at night and are easy to catch in the morning.

Delgirl, what do you do with the slugs when you've caught them in the morning? Never saw as many slugs as this "summer". They seem to prefer certain plants like my senetti and alliums which they have munched to bits. I regularly sprinke slug pellets and return the next day to find the slugs rotting away - not very nice!

Why would you want to kill slugs or snails? This sounds totally ridiculous to me. They are always there anyway under the soil. You're just seeing more at the moment because the soil is saturated.

Why would you want to kill slugs or snails?
... because they're eating my vegetables! :)

Any ones I catch, I transfer in a bucket to wasteland nearby where they can munch away, just don't want them in my vegetable patch and greenhouse.

Alexa, with the Sluggo, they eat it and then go underground so you don't have to dispose of the bodies.

You should collect egg shells and sprinkle them around your veggies - they won't crawl over them so your veggies will be slug free. Strips of copper can be places around too if you can get some, they give them a small static shock to keep them away :)

I know it's cruel, but I once had a major slug problem, and they were getting into my kitchen from the patio!

Every evening I would go out and there they all were. So I stocked up on dishwasher salt bags and basically sprinkled them. Kept doing this and eventually they were all killed off......

A vet recently told me they were getting numerous sick dogs as a result of slug pellets.

We have a hedgehog, have not seen any slugs this year.

Our garden is fully enclosed, I believe a single hedgehog would need several gardens to get enough food, so we leave out some leftovers (meat etc but not fish) and regularly see him/her feeding on these.

You should collect egg shells and sprinkle them around your veggies - they won't crawl over them so your veggies will be slug free. Strips of copper can be places around too if you can get some, they give them a small static shock to keep them away :)
Will try the eggshells Smashbox.

I don't like killing anything and even have mousetraps to catch the mice alive and then we put them in a field.

I have read that used ground coffee is a good slug repellent. Haven't tried it myself though so can't vouch for it.

This year, I have used two packs of slug pellets which work fine until they are dissolved by rain and have now given up. I think I used Erazza (or something similar - purple bottle with yellow lid) which are allegedly child and pet safe. My garden is in bits but millions of slugs and snails are well fed.

Back