Slow Washing Machine?

T

tarpon

What is the average time required for a 40 degree, cotton wash? I think something is wrong with my powerpoint washing machine (pp1000wm). It takes 2 hours and 20 minutes for a 40 degree, cotton wash. The Economy 40 degree cotton wash takes 2hrs. I rang the dealers and they said didn't know the average time for a 40 degree cotton wash. Anyone else experience this problem? Any idea how to work around it? Is it a problem with the installation? Water pressure? Please reply if you have any ideas, machine is only 21 months old.

i have a zanucci jet system 1400, and to complete a 40 degree cotton wash it would take 1 hour and 53 min. Now i never use these setting i always hit the quick wash (54 min ) unless the kids have decided to roll around in mud dirt ect.

No washing machine expert but the only thing that comes to mind is that the water is not getting into the machine quick enough. We had problem with out machine a few weeks ago and it turns out it was our water supply from the tank. Have it fixed now but the machine ended up stopping and then bleeping like hell to let us know. I started it again and watched to see what was happening the water was very slowly getting in but not enough for it to continue into the cycle.

It could be you have something blocked in the pipe like a sock and this is causing the water to fill very slowly adding to the time.

Has your machine always taken this long? It could be thats just how long your machine needs. I have a display sceen on mine to show me exacetly how long each wash will take. Is yours the same?

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with your machine. Its hard to find stats on average programme times, but I did find stats on Bosch, which are currently running at 135 mins average for a similar wash. Mine is a Hotpoint and takes about 90 mins.

When I bought my new washing machine a few months back - I also had the same shock at the length of the wash cycle. Part of it is due to the new energy efficient models that only take a cold feed and not a hot feed as well.
I just do a quick wash/daily wash option now - and its down to less than an hour. It suffices for most washes!

Thank you SamanthaJane & Berlin & Clarelassie for the quick response.

I guess it isn't as bad as I thought then... Any other machine that I've had completed that wash in 45 mins to an hour. I can't put it on a quick wash as it doesn't spin as quickly and then I'm left with really wet clothes, there is no facility to select the spin speed.

No the display does not have a count down timer, I'm in rented accommodation and I think that the appliance might be a cheap and cheerful/nasty - whichever way we want to look at it. Hence, no information from anywhere available about it. I don't know of anyone else that has the same machine, so I can't compare notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bosch and the 30 degree quick wash takes under an hour. 5 year full parts and labour gurantee as well so cant recommend them highly enough (no connection to the company by the way)

I can't put it on a quick wash as it doesn't spin as quickly and then I'm left with really wet clothes, there is no facility to select the spin speed.

what about after doing the quick wash just putting on the spin cycle. There not usually that long about 10 mins max.

Would still cut down on the 2hr 20 mins you have at the moment.

I rented years ago and no matter what the machine would stop before it went onto the spin, ( landlords wern't that bothered and i actually got used to having to do it ) so i'd put on a wash before i went out and then when i got home turn it off and on again and then just set the spin cycle.

Washing machines with a low energy rating are much slower than older machines.

My new machine and my last one ( bought 8 years ago) both take over 2 hours to do a 40 degress cotton wash.

i have a siemens machine that's 5 years old. It does 40 degree wash in one hr and 6 mins. It takes in only cold water. 1400 spin, the clothes are pratically dry coming out!!

You can elect the spin speed. Overall its an excellent machine.

Does yours have a timer? I used to set the timer to wash the clothes at 4pm and then I'd hang them out straight away when I come home. If you are not there, it does not matter how long the wash takes!!!!!!!!!!

see if it is faster about 5pm. the water from the cold tank is hotter then and it should not take as long or cost as much to heat the water.

i It takes in only cold water. 1400 spin, the clothes are pratically dry coming out!!

Wouldn't like to be ironing your clothes.

with towels and bedsheets that you dont iron ( althought i iron everything) a 1400 spin is fine. But have you ever tried ironing a shirt thats been on a 1400 spin? It's not easy.

My 10mth old Zanussi machine takes 2hrs 20min for 40 degrees cotton wash, 2hrs 35min for 60 degrees cotton wash (my baby nephew's stuff) and 30min for quick wash. Personally I don't think that your washing machine is slow but the owner's manual should have a table with exact wash times for different settings.

as a general rule if a washing machine complete its cycle it is not faulty.Time to complete the cycle is influenced by water pressure and the temperature of the incomming water

Back