Sligo fuel prices always 4-5 cent per/l more expensive than our neighbours in ballina

bonzos

Hi folks

Can anybody explain to me how it is that the price of diesel/petrol is always 4-5 cent per/l more expensive than our neighbours in ballina?

Re: Sligo fuel prices always 4-5 cent per/l more expensive than our neighbours in bal

It's called a Cartel!

There is currently a difference of 8 cent between 2 petrol stations about 2 miles apart, in Monaghan.

There is currently a difference of 8 cent between 2 petrol stations about 2 miles apart, in Monaghan.

There's probably a difference of a similar difference over the price of a pint, or a cup of tea in one Cafe versus another, or bag of coal, loaf of bread etc...

Why does petrol prices receive such close scrutiny all the time?

The oil companies deliver to petrol stations at prices that equate to their sales (bulk discount).....or maybe the petrol station owner is a better negotiator for supply in one area than his counterpart '2 miles down the road' is.

Petrol stations (if not company owned) decide what price they will sell petrol at .....in fact it is illegal for Oil companies to set retail prices for sites they supply (unless company owned).

Might have something to do with proximity to the North... Sligo nearer border than Mayo.
Dundalk tends to be about 3c to 5c/ltr dearer than Drogheda and I was told, as petrol is dearer in the North, the border stations can jack up their prices by a few cent as the Northies will still pay for it...

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Sligo fuel prices always 4-5 cent per/l more expensive than our neighbours in bal

I have to agree about the sligo prices.
For that reason i applied for a benchmark card over a year ago and now get my petrol in the statoil garages in the general sligo area.
In this time the price of petrol has always been cheaper by buying through the benchmark card. It varies from week to week and some weeks it may only be 1 cent per litre cheaper but other weeks the difference can be 4 to 5 cents.

I have to agree about the sligo prices.
For that reason i applied for a benchmark card over a year ago and now get my petrol in the statoil garages in the general sligo area.
In this time the price of petrol has always been cheaper by buying through the benchmark card. It varies from week to week and some weeks it may only be 1 cent per litre cheaper but other weeks the difference can be 4 to 5 cents.

What's a 'benchmark card'?

A friend told me about this last year he read about it either here or on boards.
Basically you apply for it through benchmark.ie and its affilitated to statoil.
The details of the scheme are explained on the benchmark site if your interested. They set the price of petrol / diesel weekly and this is the price you pay. You do have to set up a direct debit with them though.
For example for this week petrol is set at 98.18 / litre up until the 8th of feb.
It really depends on what part of the country you live in but up in the sligo area where fuel is quite expensive its worth using in my opinion. I've been using it for over a year now and it has always been cheaper than the price set at the pumps.

Back