Slight damage to Hertz car hire -cautionary tale

Brady22

I recently hired a car from Hertz in Bristol airport. Rented in the morning- back late afternoon the same day.

On renting the guy at the desk referred to 3 minor scratches and advised me to check for others. It was raining and the car was wet and I couldn’t even see the three he pointed out.

On return in the evening, the guy pointed out what he said was fresh minor damage to an alloy wheel. I honestly didn’t see it that morning as I wouldn’t have considered that damage. It was as if he was determined to find something. He hummed and hawed about something else that was less visible before he settled on this one.

Of the original 3 marks, he could only find one present and even that looked pretty innocuous.

I had driven the car for less than 3 hours and mostly on the motorway. I’d generally remember if I’d hit a pothole or kerb over such a short period so I strongly feel the mark must have been there on collection.

It seems like a bit of a scam. I’ve already been charged 160 pounds. Assuming they charged for the previous dents, it’s not like they actually ever fix them.
I know I’ve signed the original docket but it is worth appealing?
Have I any comeback?

Unfortunately this is common practice with most car hire companies particularly if you don't sign up for the 5 times the market rate Excess Insurance they offer. I'd recommend purchasing an annual car hire excess insurance for €30-€40 per annum to avoid such situations in future.

Unfortunately this is common practice with most car hire companies particularly if you don't sign up for the 5 times the market rate Excess Insurance they offer. I'd recommend purchasing an annual car hire excess insurance for €30-€40 per annum to avoid such situations in future.
Also take photos all around the car when you first pick the car up.

As mentioned above, it's unfortunately not uncommon for this sort of thing to happen. You could try disputing or complaining about what happened...

Happened to a friend many years ago in a different company. She pursued it to the end and got an apology and refund. Transpired that it was a local scam being run by two guys in their particular branch. They claimed that she had burnt the underside of the seat with a cigarette when she did not smoke but still made her pay for the damage.

Happened to a friend many years ago in a different company. She pursued it to the end and got an apology and refund. Transpired that it was a local scam being run by two guys in their particular branch. They claimed that she had burnt the underside of the seat with a cigarette when she did not smoke but still made her pay for the damage.
Good for her. They were some chancers

I would recommend very visibly to the staff walking all around the car and taking videos of it when picking it up, often prevents these bogus scams on drop off. Burn marks under a driver seat is another level all together.

Back