Sliding Patio Doors - Right way around?

Conshine

I am looking at getting an extra lock for my sliding patio doors.

Its two panels, the one on the right slides open when pulled to the left.
The panel on the left does not move.
The lock will be fixed to the one on the left and the bolt will be pushed into the sliding door, then locked with a key.
As I am looking at this, I am thinking the sliding door has been fitted the wrong way around.
As you stand inside the house looking out, the sliding door on the right is on the outside runner. So when you slide it to the left, the door is on the outside of the panel to the left.

This does not seem right, but I can figure out why.

I am thinking that the door could easily be taken out by sticking something underneat it and levering it upwards.
Also, the lock that I intend to fit would not stop this from happening.
If the door was on the inner runner, this would make more sense.

Any thoughts?

Mine are exactly the same, fitted when the windows were changed. Window companies don't seem to consider security at all, otherwise they wouldn't fit double glazed units that go in from the outside.
I have one of those locks you're looking at, hopefully it will stop the door from being lifted, maybe if you're worried about it you could fit one top and bottom.

Mine is fitted the same way. I fitted a Yale lock to the top of the sliding door that bolts up into the frame. That prevents anyone from lifting out the sliding door.
Leo

1. Sliding patio doors roll on the track on the outside.
2. The bulk of Sliding doors are fitted with a 25:25 euro cylinder.
3. The cylinder can be snapped as a means of gaining entry
4. The door can be lifted of the tracks and removed.

Solutions
1. Install a "a-lock" as discribed above. Be careful where the lock is installed as some frames are plastic and the lock will not be securely fixed.

2. Install an anti snap cylinder.

Incidently, have a look at the windows on your house, more often than not the slips that hold the glass in are on the outside of the building, meaning that a robber only has to remove these to gain entry - its the Irish way!

Unfortunatley our house was broken into and it seems the patio door was how they gained access.

Has anyone used the ives lock? http://ivesslock.com/

I googled looking for types of locks to use and came across it.

Or can anyone post a link of a type of lock that they have used pls and feel secure using it?

Many thanks.

Back