Sky v Satellite TV once off payment

that's true but most modern TVs will pick up the Irish channels via an aerial; ok you have to change the source on the TV to go from Irish to satellite channels but that's not a massive inconvenience.

The combo FTA boxes are either fairly basic with only "now and next" on the satellite channels, or potentially quite complex linux receivers that require a bit of technical aptitude to setup and keep up to date.

It is great that there are these budget alternatives for those with very tight discretionary spending and/or those who are just not that into television, while there is the slick, convenient and much more choice-versatile Sky Q for TV-philes!

It is great that there are these budget alternatives for those with very tight discretionary spending and/or those who are just not that into television, while there is the slick, convenient and much more choice-versatile Sky Q for TV-philes!
Or an enigma 2 box for those who are technically minded

We had Sky for 20-odd years and came to realise that all we really watched were the BBC/ITV/C4 stations. Got rid of sky and replaced it with a recordable Freesat box from Richer Sounds. As we were coming from Sky+ it was simply plug and play. Already had Saorview on each of the TV's and subscribe to Netflix/Disney etc. also.

So we were effectively paying €50 per month for free channels!! The Freesat box has repaid its outlay already!

We had Sky for 20-odd years and came to realise that all we really watched were the BBC/ITV/C4 stations. Got rid of sky and replaced it with a recordable Freesat box from Richer Sounds. As we were coming from Sky+ it was simply plug and play. Already had Saorview on each of the TV's and subscribe to Netflix/Disney etc. also.

So we were effectively paying €50 per month for free channels!! The Freesat box has repaid its outlay already!

Not available in ROI according to their website

Not available in ROI according to their website
Look again. The website clearly states 'With NI/ROI delivery' and has a charge of £6.99 for 5-7 day delivery to ROI for that product.

What is not available is the Freesat HD ONLINE service i.e. catch-up services such as ITV X or BBC iPlayer. The satellite channels and using the Freesat app to record remotely work perfectly.

Most of the Smart Samsung TV's have built in Freesat technology, so you don't even need a box at all to get going, and has a decent EPG etc. For recording you would need to use a memory stick in a UBS slot on the TV. You have NOW app if you want sky channels, and all the other streaming apps at hand. You can get a box later if you want to combine saorview channels - Samsung tvs do manage irish channels, buts its a bit clunky getting from Freesat to Saorview as they aren't all on the same feed - they come in with the other free samsung channels.

Look again. The website clearly states 'With NI/ROI delivery' and has a charge of £6.99 for 5-7 day delivery to ROI for that product.

What is not available is the Freesat HD ONLINE service i.e. catch-up services such as ITV X or BBC iPlayer. The satellite channels and using the Freesat app to record remotely work perfectly.
Thanks for that clarification.

Curiously, when switching from sterling to euros, the item disappears so looks like one can pay only in sterling.

Could you explain what makes Sky the uncompromising choice and the others terrible?

Perhaps you feel passionately about the ergonomics of the Sky remote or nothing floats your boat like the little red stand-by light. Maybe it's the fact you get more 4k content? All of these might be very important for you but possibly less so for the OP.
But Sky cost is exorbitant! They treat old customers very badly . My monthly bill is now €168 per month and will go up to € 176 per month in April so it’s €2,112 per annum it’s daylight robbery ! ! Any advice welcome re getting this down ??

But Sky cost is exorbitant! They treat old customers very badly . My monthly bill is now €168 per month and will go up to € 176 per month in April so it’s €2,112 per annum it’s daylight robbery ! ! Any advice welcome re getting this down ??
Ditch Sky and go free-to-air and Free Sat. If you have decent broadband and really want to watch Sky-only content, sign up for Now TV on special offer, watch what you need and cancel. You will then regularly receive special offer emails for reduced price 6-month memberships, movies for €5 a month for 6 months, or sports for a tenner a month.

Last edited:
Free-to-air channel frequencies change from time to time. These are up-dated automatically for channels included in the Sky package. You will probably need to do manual re-scanning/updating from time to time with freesat.
Freest automatically updates.

What have you signed up for it to be that expensive?
I have standard channels (Sky signature)+Netflix (Ultimate TV pack) and it is €52 per month

Sky Signature with OnDemand + Sports +Sports Extra (TNT and Premier Sports)+ Cinema + HD would certainly bring that up to 168 or so.

I contact them every few months and always get a reduction. Currently paying 90 monthly for the above.

Yes, cancel the service completely!

I was a long time Sky subscriber and I was also paying them a fortune for many years, but got rid of them a few years ago, replaced with Saorview & Free to Air Satellite channels, plus optional subscriptions to the likes of Netflix, Amazon etc. and have never looked back. If I want to watch a sports event, I go to the pub.

Dumping Sky has saved me thousands, at this stage....

Even if you don't really want to leave them, still instruct the cancellation (assuming you are outside of contract), there's a 30 day notice period and wait until you see how much they try to get you back, once your in that 30 day notice period, having instructed cancellation. They'll ultimately offer you deals that you can only dream about, to try and get you to reverse your decision ;-)

I have a sky package myself. It is costing me a fortune. I must get a better deal and cut down on TV and streaming services.

I have been complacent not sorting it out sooner. I am the same with mobile phone costs .

I think I will get rid of TV and music streaming services first

I switched to Sky last year to get SIRO broadband and added on TV. The small print did not include the fact that you need a separate HD subscription to see some Sky programming (only available with HD). Very misleading. I've spent way too long on with them on their webchat. My workaround has been to continue to use a deeply discounted NowTV pack to access the programmes I should be seeing on Sky. Cannot wait for the contract to end.

Back