Sky essentials 10 a month

Me too, the thread on boards re zgemma box makes it seem very complex. Maybe the posters there are doing deep dive modifying of Linux etc and the basic setup isn't as complicated as the thread would imply. I'll do some googling later of the setup on youtube
It’s really not and you can install skins to make it look and feel familiar .

However in a lot of cases modern tvs have built in tuners , maybe even for both, cheaper and easier if less feature filled, usb drive for recording .

we have Sky Essentials, again without their broadband. Downgraded from a higher package.

All the RTE/Virgin/BBC channels and seemingly random selection of others that includes Dave and some other UKTV channels, but not Gold. The only C4 channels are E4Extra and Film4+1 (see what I mean about random) but you can watch C4 live on "Other Channels" and for some reason on the Sky Go app, and the C4 Catchup service works. Sky Arts is the only Sky channel.

The Irish channels and BBC are in HD but most others are not (on the Boards thread about it people have said you can pay for the HD pack at an extra tenner a month but it's not really worth it if most of what you watch is RTE/BBC which are HD anyway)

Recording etc is all as normal and we still have the free Discovery+ app, which has all the Eurosport content on it as well as a seemingly endless supply of rubbish "documentaries"

Obviously you can get all the same channels for free but I think €10 a month is reasonable for the ease of use, recording etc that you get from the SkyQ box. Free options will generally be clunky with 2 boxes or some sort of Linux box that requires technical know-how; you might have to get an aerial installed for the Irish channels and new LNB on your dish all of which could add up to a lot of tenners.

My parents had one of the simple Amiko boxes on a second TV, couldn't handle it and are now just occasionally watching SaorView on that won't budge from Sky for the main TV. To folks like them, the concept of installing a skin would be the stuff of nightmares :)

However in a lot of cases modern tvs have built in tuners , maybe even for both, cheaper and easier if less feature filled, usb drive for recording .
Biggest problem there is most only give you now/next for satellite channels and require you to tune in the channel to pull that info down. I had it out with Sony a while back after buying one of their top end models with dual satellite tuners assuming their EPG would be a little more feature rich. Their advice was to use the FreeSat app for TV guide, but of course that doesn't work here. Any advance recording has to be programmed manually so you lose options like Series Link and have to start recordings early / finish late to account for delays on the day.

After all that, rang sky, asked for retentions ..Was told the essentials package not available since last week and zero attempt made to make any other offer. Can't have been talking.to retentions section at all as the guy just couldn't care and didn't even know the exact date our BB etc was to be turned off. Found a local installer who will do aerial etc and waiting for him to come back with a price. Told him want the zgemma so if not too expensive to get the aerial will go with that
Else freesat box and rte player for the few programs we watch there.
Should I ask installer to put a hybrid lnb in case go back to sky Q next year. Could rotate every 12 months

Last edited:
we have Sky Essentials, again without their broadband. Downgraded from a higher package.

All the RTE/Virgin/BBC channels and seemingly random selection of others that includes Dave and some other UKTV channels, but not Gold. The only C4 channels are E4Extra and Film4+1 (see what I mean about random) but you can watch C4 live on "Other Channels" and for some reason on the Sky Go app, and the C4 Catchup service works. Sky Arts is the only Sky channel.

The Irish channels and BBC are in HD but most others are not (on the Boards thread about it people have said you can pay for the HD pack at an extra tenner a month but it's not really worth it if most of what you watch is RTE/BBC which are HD anyway)

Recording etc is all as normal and we still have the free Discovery+ app, which has all the Eurosport content on it as well as a seemingly endless supply of rubbish "documentaries"

Obviously you can get all the same channels for free but I think €10 a month is reasonable for the ease of use, recording etc that you get from the SkyQ box. Free options will generally be clunky with 2 boxes or some sort of Linux box that requires technical know-how; you might have to get an aerial installed for the Irish channels and new LNB on your dish all of which could add up to a lot of tenners.
Just a couple of questions there as I have tv back since yday having had the dish realigned and told the 'tin' Sky dish won't last the next storm but that's another story. Anyway where are you finding C4? I can't even find Other Channels to look for it. Also when I go to Discovery it tells me I must upgrade, I wonder are there different variations of the basic package?

Sorry OP you didn't get the option of the basic deal, the guy who fixed my dish agreed it's a pretty good offer from the convenience angle and he installs the other sort of systems.

Just a couple of questions there as I have tv back since yday having had the dish realigned and told the 'tin' Sky dish won't last the next storm but that's another story. Anyway where are you finding C4? I can't even find Other Channels to look for it. Also when I go to Discovery it tells me I must upgrade, I wonder are there different variations of the basic package?

Sorry OP you didn't get the option of the basic deal, the guy who fixed my dish agreed it's a pretty good offer from the convenience angle and he installs the other sort of systems.
Yeah you're lucky to have it, hope it autorenews even after the 12 months.

Ordered zgemma hs7 from satworld, they have it preconfigured with EPG, series link etc using image with common required features. Just dawned on me re subtitles. I depend on them and just want reassurance that can turn on by default for all programs and they work ok I'm system settings? Or does it depend on what skin satworld have installed ?If no decent subtitles then the box isn't suitable.

Ordered zgemma hs7 from satworld, they have it preconfigured with EPG, series link etc using image with common required features. Just dawned on me re subtitles. I depend on them and just want reassurance that can turn on by default for all programs and they work ok I'm system settings? Or does it depend on what skin satworld have installed ?If no decent subtitles then the box isn't suitable.
There is a subtitle button on the remote you’ll be fine.

other channels / manual tuning is under options in the main menu - you can google the frequencies for the various unlisted channels to add them.

Discovery+ is not the same as the Discovery channels on the guide, it's their on-demand app which is in the the Apps section of the menu (you can also use their phone app once you've signed up). Details of how to sign up are here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-marketplace-subscribe-to-discovery-plus-roi - it should be free but it probably depends on your subscription and how long you've been with Sky. I signed up before I downgraded to Essentials and I still have it.

Back