Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi

130 bhp is a very good engine and seems like a good price for the car. Very good reputation and goes like stink. Go for it!

Check the Skoda website. There may be some confusion - as far as I can see there are 105, 140 and 150 bhp versions in 1.9 and 2.0 L engines.

I'm not sure that a 1.9L 130 bhp actually exists?!

Check the Skoda website. There may be some confusion - as far as I can see there are 105, 140 and 150 bhp versions in 1.9 and 2.0 L engines.

I'm not sure that a 1.9L 130 bhp actually exists?!
Just to add to the confusion there are (pause for breath) 100, 105, 130, 140, 150, 160 and 170 BHP versions of the VAG 1.9 PD TDI engine fitted to VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat and Ford cars.

Very reliable and tuneable, the engine needs minding, with regular servicing and expensive oil, but can be good for upwards of 300k kms.

Don't forget the 90 bhp, you can still also buy the Octavia I brand new from Skoda dealers in Ireland, there still making it for people that say "they don't make them like they used to" old shape with '08 plates.

Ok, but are some of these not 2L?
There may be 2L engines with similar power outputs but the 1.9 PD had the outputs listed. Reviewing my typing there may even be 90 and 110 bhp 1.9 PD's as well.

90 bhp for sure as per post above.

Last edited:
So is there any way of verifying that it is 130BHP and not any other variation? Is it written somewhere on the vehicle or any paperwork?

Have driven the Mother in Laws Octavia a few times, think its the 105BHP version. WOuld there be a noticeable difference?

Don't forget the 90 bhp, you can still also buy the Octavia I brand new from Skoda dealers in Ireland, there still making it for people that say "they don't make them like they used to" old shape with '08 plates.
Agreed, and it must rate as one of the best value family cars on the market.

So is there any way of verifying that it is 130BHP and not any other variation? Is it written somewhere on the vehicle or any paperwork?

Have driven the Mother in Laws Octavia a few times, think its the 105BHP version. WOuld there be a noticeable difference?
Yes the original options configuration document will be attached to the floor of the boot near the wheel well and also inside the front cover of the Skoda Service Schedule booklet. Its a squarish "shipping label" self-adhesive thing with bar codes on the top and the power of the engine will be listed as "96KW ASZ" for the 130 bhp 1.9 engine.

There should be a noticeable difference in power and torque through the gears - "nippier". Fuel consumption should be as good at least as the 105, maybe even better, depending on driving style.

The chassis number of the car will be listed on the top line of this document as well, for comparisons sake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a look at this guys:

[broken link removed]

...have they simply not covered all the available engines then?

Have a look at this guys:

[broken link removed]

...have they simply not covered all the available engines then?
Thats the new Octavia - different engine options, and it doesn't list the other Skoda cars, not to mention Seat, Audi, VW and Fords that used the same PD lump.

Does any agree with me in that the skoda octavia is an ugly car, heavy on the road and down right boring to look at!

Thats the new Octavia - different engine options, and it doesn't list the other Skoda cars, not to mention Seat, Audi, VW and Fords that used the same PD lump.

I'm confused. Is that not the same car in the OP link? Looks the same.

Does any agree with me in that the skoda octavia is an ugly car, heavy on the road and down right boring to look at!

Compared to what? Passat, Avensis, Mondeo?

Its certainly not a beautiful car but its not ugly. To me a car is a tool.

I am looking for something that is comfortable and reliable and reasonable running costs as I am covering about 22k miles a year. It also needs to be able to accomdate 4 adults with some luggage fairly regularly! That is why I was looking at an Octavia.

Compared to what? Passat, Avensis, Mondeo?[/quote]

Compared to Mondeo, Coralla saloon, Saab 9-3, Volvo S40, Audi A4, Honda Accord, Peugout 407. All these have distinct lines and shapes - may not be as reliable or same price range as the Octavia, but at least they have confidence/arrogance to produce bold designs.

In saying all this the new Octavia is certainly an improvement from its predecessor.

Compared to Mondeo, Coralla saloon, Saab 9-3, Volvo S40, Audi A4, Honda Accord, Peugout 407. All these have distinct lines and shapes - may not be as reliable or same price range as the Octavia...

I'm pretty sure an Octavia is not more reliable than an Accord BTW.

Back