skoda octavia 1.4 or focus 1.4?

thanks all for the advice:p

guess what- just booked a holiday to florida for xmas:D
going to wait till jan to buy a car, unless i find a good bargain in the USA, i can check out the vrt on it while i'm away and the shipping charges- but i guess the re sale on left hand drives wont be too good here,

and sorry but no thanks to the offer of the mazda-
have a nice day y'all

Well I have done it:
I have done a deal to buy a mondeo 2.0tdici lx .
very happy with teh deal and with the car.

N Solo said:
The new Octavia has many plus points, not least better reliabilty.
You really need a 1.6 for these cars.

Check out the JD Power surveys-->> "Skoda drivers are the most satisfied mainstream brand owners in the UK, according to the 2005 J D Power Survey of Customer Satisfaction. Ranked second overall for the second consecutive year, Skoda was beaten to the top spot by only one luxury brand - and by only one point. With a CSI score of 847, Skoda’s rating improved by four points over 2003, compared to an industry average decline of two points. This year marks the 10th year in succession that Skoda has remained in the Top 5 of all manufacturers."

"
JD Power Survey 2005 - Family cars

2005/04/14

In most classes, a non-Japanese winner might raise a few eyebrows, but not here. The Skoda Octavia has dominated this class for the past three years and it does so again.

That it achieves this in the face of continuing opposition from excellent Japanese cars three are breathing right down its neck is merely further evidence of its blend of reliability, practicality, low running costs and fine dealer service.

Further down the table, there's evidence that the French manufacturers are raising their game. The Renault Laguna and Citroën C5 were in the bottom two positions a year ago, but now they are fourth and fifth from bottom respectively. Yes, it's a small step, but it's progress nevertheless.

Skoda Octavia CLASS WINNER"

Skoda comes in 2!!! whilst Ford comes in 17th

N Solo

Talk to any Rep in the country and find me one that hasnt had their heart broken with their Laguna. Id swear by Ford. We have 2 at home. And I was a renault man before i switched aleggance. The ford focus was voted the best second hand car buy in 2001 i think.....correct me if i am wrong. The only problem with the 1.4 it lacks poke. I would seriously consider a 1.6. you might even get a better deal on them as well, as there not the top seller compared to 1.4

One thing that you should note about JD Power is that is a measurement of Customer Satisfaction. A key element of customer satisfaction is customer expectation. If you have low expectations for a product, then it is easy to be impressed. It also covers things such as UK dealer service levels which would differ from those over here. The honestjohn website is probably a better indicator of car reliability.

I have no doubt that skoda are a good car - probably better than their vw sister cars - but their high position in JD power is likely to have something to do with lower customer expectations.

The Focus is a very reliable car and I think it won some award for reliability fromm TUV Germany back in 2001. All Japenese cars are utterly reliable. The less said about French & Italian cars the better.

Fuke it buy a 95 merc s class 320 or 500 or 600 coupe for the same price as either the skoda or the ford.

All the extras a class machine won't depreciate like the modern cars. For the money should get an axcellent example.

I know the tax and fuel might be a little more expensive but it would be worth it me thinks.

Frank

Back