Sixteen Ministers and Ministers of State on Paddy's Day Junkets

oldtimer

Sixteen ministers and Ministers of State will travel the world for St. Patricks Day. Are these trips necessary? Seemingly its half last years exodus. Anybody care to put what the overall cost will be? Personally I feel a sense of outrage at these junkets.

I think it is important we continue to interact with the outside world !
They would be expected to promote irish interests abroad ,network etc

This is what businesses to do,same necessary for IRELAND inc

I think it is important we continue to interact with the outside world !
They would be expected to promote irish interests abroad ,network etc

This is what businesses to do,same necessary for IRELAND inc

I agree. Part of me is annoyed at the expense but at least there has been a reduction. If we suddenly didn't do this we would look incredibly cheap and shabby. A necessary evil I think.

I most definitely agree that it's necessary. I think i read that last years trips cost €500,000 and that it's roughly half this year.
The amount of publicity and goodwill generated for that money could prove invaluable.

If anyone wants to come on my Paddys Day junket this year they're more than welcome..

What a pity it's ministers going on these junkets, and not people who would actually be good at promoting Ireland.

If a minister goes abroad and brings their wife/husband who pays for them?

Just wondering.Is it taxpayers or does the minister pay themselves? After all, they are going abroad to work and meet people so who pays for their spouse seeing as they aren't needed?

I agree that we get good PR out if it but I'd question the costs. Last weeks papers reported that one minister offered to fly economy but it was turned down because it was impractical. Can anyone explain why it's impractical?

I agree that we get good PR out if it but I'd question the costs. Last weeks papers reported that one minister offered to fly economy but it was turned down because it was impractical. Can anyone explain why it's impractical?

It would set the standard! Down with that sort of thing!

The responses to date have been slightly selfish, has anyone actually considered the feelings/thoughts/wishes of the Irish Diaspora in the places visited on Paddy's Day who are grateful for the continued connection to their homecountry through the visits of Irish Govt Ministers.

The responses to date have been slightly selfish, has anyone actually considered the feelings/thoughts/wishes of the Irish Diaspora in the places visited on Paddy's Day who are grateful for the continued connection to their homecountry through the visits of Irish Govt Ministers.

You're kidding right? When those people pay tax here, we should take their feelings into consideration when planning how to spend our taxes.

Yes i asked my cousins in the states and they said the miserable fcukin ministers can stay where they are and spend the money on filling in the pot holes in Gowna in Cavan......

You're kidding right? When those people pay tax here, we should take their feelings into consideration when planning how to spend our taxes.

I emigrated in 1990 and spent 10 years working overseas. I did not emigrate out of choice but out of necessity because there was no jobs in Ireland. It always bugged me that I had no say in the government of Ireland given that it was mostly incompetent politicians that caused me and tens of thousands of others to emigrate in the first place. As an Irishman, why should I not have had a say in how the country was run?. I had my family here, I had savings and investments here.

My parents were hard working people, my father worked 2 jobs to put me and my sister through college and to the day I die I will remember the look on their faces on November 19th 1990 at the airport when I left the country and I will remember the feeling in my stomach when I left. I hope to God neither you and your family ever go through that

Furthermore the logic of your arguement is that if you don't pay taxes, you shouldn't have a say as to how the country was run. I'm sure everyone who is on the dole may have a different view

Actually, no i was not. did you ever of such a thing as emigrant remitances?

Back