Site overpriced in Kildare - thoughts?

paddy111199

Hi All,

just a couple of questions

1. Im thinking of buying a .5 acre site in kildare with full planning for 260k, is this overpriced??

2. Does anyone know roughly how much a builder would chg for a 2,200 sq ft bungalow??

3. What would be the max mortgage you would get for combined salary of 140k??

Thanks for all your expertise!!

Re: Site overpriced in Kildare - thoughts??

Hi All,

just a couple of questions

1. Im thinking of buying a .5 acre site in kildare with full planning for 260k, is this overpriced??

Depends...

1) where in kildare?
2) What type of house is allowed as per the planning permission?
3) Are there equivalent sites to compare against in the local area of elsewhere in the same region of kildare?

It really does depend on where the site is, but still that seems like a very large sum of money before you even build anything on it. For a 2200sf house it would cost you 250k for a basic finish.

Joejoe

260k seems a crazy price..espically in the current climate. that would mean an acre would cost over half a milion!!!!!!!

Near prosperous (spelling!).

Thought it was pretty expensive alright, I think there is a premium on it as planning has already been granted and the plans have been already drawn up.

I thought it was about 70-80 euro per sq ft??, which would amount to 155-175k for a house.

Am I way off the mark??

Cheers

Hi Paddy111199,

Can't comment on the price of the site - but if it has planning and plans drawn up - you will obviously pay more but you still have to fullfill the local area requirements. With regard to building your house - never underestimate the price to build - always overestimate - building is one thing and expensive it is - cost of building materials have gone up - the flip side is that it is easier to get some tradesmen i.e. plasters and blocklayers and there price for labour has dropped - but finishing off a house allow at least up to 30% on top of the build price and this would not include fencing or landscaping.

Angela59

Near prosperous (spelling!).

Thought it was pretty expensive alright, I think there is a premium on it as planning has already been granted and the plans have been already drawn up.

I thought it was about 70-80 euro per sq ft??, which would amount to 155-175k for a house.

Am I way off the mark??

Cheers

Being realistic and allowing for new standards of insulation and the fact you will probably have to spend money on things like stone for driveways and planting boundry hedging and argon filled windows etc. then €100 a sqft is probably more honest - and that's with a very basic finish... When doing things 100% right it is hard to cut costs. Don't forget you will also have stamp on the site, engineer fees, council fees, water connection fees, legal fees and a million other small "nothing" bills that add up to money......

260k seems a crazy price for the site! BUT - Whats a standard 2,200sqft house selling for in the area???
Assuming it will cost you 250k to build and another 30k for stamp and legal etc. then the all in cost for you would be close to 550k! If an equivalent house is selling for 500k incl stamp, then the headache of building at that price for a site seems crazy... If an equivalent house would cost you 750k, then the site seems an okay price!!!

260K with permission? I would take it.

How long is left on the planning permission would be one thing I would check out though. If there is 3/4 years I would certainly take the site.
I know things are different now but at the peak of the bubble sites in or around Clane / Prosperous were selling for at least 200K more for 0.5acre with PP(and I mean at least 200K more). You couldnt get acre sites.

Because its with permission I would say you are getting a good deal for the area. If you were just buying a site I would be pretty certain you would not have a snowball in hells chance to get planning permission unless you were from the area and living there.]]

edit : just took a quick look. Is it 260K or 220K? I see a similar site for 220K

Hi there,

Maybe I'm missing something with regard to the planning permission - I have full planning permission to build a house on land which I purchased but if I wanted to sell this site even though it has full planning - who ever buys the site still has to apply fulfill the local area need i.e. they have to be from within a 5 mile radius of the land which was granted planning and also have to have a housing need - that's the plan for county carlow - perhaps Kildare is different. I priced up to build a 3400 sq foot house and depending on the finish you want I'd reckon E100 per sq ft - this wouldn't include finishing - you could go direct labour and you'd probably get a house built anywhere from E60 to E80 per sq ft again add on your finish to this. Hope I've been of some help.

angela59

Back