Site - 120 Feet wide - Wide enough ?

L

LouthMan

Hello Everyone

I am close to purchasing a site, it is 120 wide and .88 acre. Is this wide enough, nice views from the back.

Thanks in advance
LM

check the development plan from your local authorty....
actually, best thing to do is to phone your LA planning office and ask them....

id be very surprised if it wasnt....

Plan for the area is good, no developments allowed etc, just wanted to find out. Is 120 wide enough for a site ?

Thanks
Oisin

oisin,

it depends on certain factors..... water supply, percolation etc... but it will be clearly stated in your county development plan..... you havent said which county you are in so its impossible to properly answer your question

but the quickest and clearest answer you will get is from your local authority planning office.

From Louth - Name - I don't know why those factors would make a difference and how would the council know ?

because every county has different development plans and different planning policies.

P 4.9
It is policy of the council to ensure that a minimum site area of 0.2 hectares is available
for ‘one-off’ rural houses. In areas where houses in excess of 200 square metres are
permitted, the site area shall be correspondingly increased in the ratio of 20 sqm
additional site area for each 1 square metres additional floor area. In such
circumstances also, the shape of the site should be such as to provide for a greater set
back from the public road than normal, if required by the planning authority.

Thats the relevant section of the LOUTH COUNTY DEVELOPMENT PLAN.
[broken link removed]

check out pages 77, 78, 79

(PS, my names not really Syd...)

Ok thanks for that but This is not really what i am looking for, as i said it is .88 acre and big enough for a house 2600 but is the site WIDE enough guys. Anyone else with comments

You should have no bother lad with the site lenght, I have seen smaller that 120 feet wide. Based on what Sydthebeat is saying:

Site = 3561 sq meters
House = 241.547904 sq meters

So The minimum needed is 2000 sq meters of a site.
The fact that your house is 40 sq meters above the max amount for a 2000sqm site, this requires us to have 40*20 = 800 sq m extra.

So in our abouts 750 sq meters to spare, no problems there then?

Good luck with the build, I hope you have load of construction experience ;)

I believe what Louthman is referring to is road frontage. In Offaly, the coco frequently objects to planning on the grounds that the site does not have 40m or road frontage.

They were unaware that a backset site did not require this, until I pointed it out to them in their development plan (on the second application!).

Not sure what the story is for Louth, though.

many councils are removing these 'engineers' requirements for minimum site frontage.... they generally only apply if you are purchasing a site in a large field..... in fill sites can be dealth with separately once criteria are met....

the only restriction i see in the louth county development plan is;
A minimum distance of 6 metres should be maintained between the dwelling and any site boundary with an adjoining site.

therefore the dwelling must be designed to comply with these criteria...... you simply cant plop any dwelling design onto any site.. .it must be designed to suit the site and all the relevant planning requirements...

again, to louthman, read the pages in the development plan i linked to above.....

No, No and no again !

The site is fine, Louth cc will give planning on it !

What I am referring to, is 120 wide enough - space either side of the house etc !

No, No and no again !

The site is fine, Louth cc will give planning on it !

What I am referring to, is 120 wide enough - space either side of the house etc !

Mines 28 metres wide which is too small for the house I'm putting on it, started yesterday finally!. We'll be able to drive down 1 side and sort of walkt down the other which will have to do.

I'd give my right arm for the extra 8 metres you'd have.

You'll be fine.

your site is 120 feet, which equals to 39 metres...

you are required to retain at least 6 m either side.. therefore your building can be 39-12 = 27 metres wide....

as no one here knows the width of your proposed house, perhaps you can work out for yourself if it will fit or not.....

120' is good frontage, imagine a 60' wide house (which would be big) allows you 60' space to the side ie 30' each side. most rural sites measure 100' x 225' and hold big homes with loads of space

Did you not have any idea that deducting the width of the proposed house from the width of the site would give you the answer you were looking for?

obviously they're not as good at maths up in louth as their neighbours in cavan

Back