Single mother - own my own house and full time job

Esme

Hi

I am about to become a single mother, the father legged when he found out and I've no idea where he is. I own my own house and have a full time job. Anyone know what I'm entitled to, if anything, as a single mum?

Esme

You should apply for One-Parent Family payment, which is means tested. Ownign your own house will not affect entitlement. Earnings will. You may also qualify for FIS, depending on your income.

Other than what Welfarite has advised you will receive extra tax credits as a Single Parent if you continue to work, apply to revenue after the birth of your Baby and of course the standard Childrens Allowance payments.

You could also depending on means be entitled to medical card, or GP Card.

My advice would be to find out when your local Citizens Advice is open and a SW advisor is available to go through everything possible that you may be entitled to. Of course in the meantime log on to citizens advice website and research thoroughly all information. However sitting down with an advisor is very helpful. As other poster said apply for correct tax credits after your baby is born this will boost your take home pay a bit anyway. Also of course claim your tax back when you are finished your maternity leave.

In the meantime also read the money makeover section on this website and take all tips to cut down on your expenditure now, get thrifty and money savvy now whilst you have time to think before your baby is born.

I know you have said that Dad's whereabouts is unknown but also research tracking him down and taking out court order for maintenance for the baby. He has a legal duty to provide for the child. All info available from Citizens Advice too.

My final advice is please try to keep your job I cannot stress this enough.

I agree with Nesbit, you have probably worked hard to get to where you are, continuing to work as a Mother can be challenging but can be worth it imo. Have a look to see if there are Community Childcare Schemes near where you live or work, they may be able to offer you a place for your Baby next year or whenever you are about to return to work. Have you looked at www.rollercoaster.ie its a good site for Expectant Parents and Parents in general, you might get a lot of advice and comradeship thre and there are some groups in various locations who arrange to meet up.

Other than that, look after yourself, get as much rest as possible, and believe that things generally work out well.

HI guys

Thanks so much for that, I have also contacted Treoir (thanks to rollercoaster.ie) and they are sending me out as much info as they can.

Really want to keep my job anyway, couldn't cope with not working ;-)

Really want to keep my job anyway, couldn't cope with not working ;-)
`
If you feel that by reducing your hours a little you come under the SW thresholds for FIS/OFP, you should look at that option.

Back