Single glazing to double glazing

Bill

I would like to replace the single pane of glass in my pvc widows with 2 panes. I am finding it very hard to get quotes.

Can anyone recommend anyone in Dublin who would do this?

Hi Bill,

If you run the search option in this forum only you will find many threads on uPVC windows and probably a few recommendations. A few that I have read down thru the years are Senator, Bonner, Templeogue, Starline (a long time ago).

The reason why you are probably finding it hard to get just the glass replaced is because it is most likely less profitable than fitting new windows.

I found this Northern company in a forum , they gave me 4 references in the Waterford area . I have just visited two houses this weekend and was very happy with what I saw and heard .

My next task is to understand what 18mm pilkington k glass is .

pjq

I've tried everywhere recommended on askaboutmoney, and no joy. I can purchase the beading from the original window supplier. Perhaps i could measure and order the glass, then try to install the beading and glass myself - anyone tried this?

pjq, Pilkington is the manufacturer of the glass and this also suggests the standard that they have. "K" is for low-e/ u value. The 18mm should be the thickness of the double glazed unit i.e. 4mm glass/10mm spacer/4mm "k" glass to inside or it could be 6mm/6mm spacer/6mm "K glass. As "k" is a coating on the inside of the d/g unit (i.e. in the room) it can scratch quiet easily a better option is a low-e soft coat as this coating is on the inside of the d/g unit. It has been discussed on previous threads.

The most important measurement is when changing from s/g to d/g is that you have enough space in the rebate to take the d/g unit and a smaller slip. If very narrow the smallest unit you can get is a 14mm unit(4mm/6mm/4mm)

NGH,

Thanks for the help (found thread), I will check this out next week when LM Glazing visit .
Im also in Kilkenny , is there anybody locally who does the conversion from single to double ?
Also ...... the windows are big picture windows 2m wide with two opening flaps at the top , and as we all sleep with the flap open (even in winter ) .... I thought about leaving the flaps as they are . This is not pure stinginess , I see that the rebate is smaller and worry that the weight of double glaged might be an issue , admittedly a cost saving potential did cross my mind . Any comments ?
PJQ

pjh, if you leave the windows open...even in winter... what exactly is the purpose of changing to double glazing?

The "Flaps" as you call them are called sashes. If they are old and not in great nick you could have new ones made to suit your existing windows and they would then they would automatically take the D/G Units. I am not sure if still is someone doing S/G convertions in Kilkenny anymore there used to be, but it was stepped units that they were using and it did'nt look great.

Stepped Unit - every D/G unit has a 12mm black seal all around the edges, but with a stepped unit it starts off with about 15mm S/G which fits in where your old S/G was and then you have the 12mm black seal where you can see it above the timber in your window!

I think that guy was connected to Kilkenny Glass (which was sold since) , worth a call as the new owners might be able to help or offer other idea's. He could be the LM Glass that you mentioned as his name was Liam, can't remember his surname.

Back